Home Forums General Discussion Forum US Army Omega

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jim1228
    Participant

I have a 1948 US Army Omega men’s wrist watch. I can not get the case opened. It has a smooth back with no groves or lip. The crystal does not come with a crystal lift. I have tried suction and the rubber ball with No luck. Any advice would be helpful.
      Thanks,
      Jim

tmac1956
      Participant

Jim:

If you use a dropper to apply PB Blaster to the threads and let it set for 24 hours, you should be able to get it loose. In conjunction with the PB Blaster, I’ve used this case remover with great results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Suction-Type-Case-Opener-/271210531783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f25684bc7

The vinyl ball should be good as well. It’s usually just pure filth that gums up the threads and keeps the case lid on tight. ;)

I hope this helps,
        Tom

jim1228
        Participant

Hey Tom,
          I have tried exactly what you suggested. No go. I was a bit concerned about how much PB to use, maybe I should use more. I also have the same case remover. I’m stumped why this back has no groves on it for a screw off.
          Thanks,

Jim

david pierce
          Participant

Jim,
            Are you sure it is a screw off back?
            david

jim1228
            Participant

I have opened many watches but this one has got me stumped. Like I said in my first post, there is no lip or grove.

Jim

david pierce
              Participant

Jim,
                Your Omega watch probably has a snap on back. Look again under magnification to check for a groove. If you can find it you can remove the back with a case knife. Omega also had a model (Cosmic) that was a one piece case. A one piece case can be removed with a small amount of compressed air pumped in through the stem collar which will blow out the crystal. I am pretty sure however that your watch has a snap on back and can be pried off with a case knife once you locate the groove.
                david

willofiam

Hey Jim, did you try the big hammer yet? 😆 sorry, cant help yah but I did want to say you did a great job on the photos. Hope you get this figured out. Have a wonderful day. William

stevefitzwater
                  Participant

Here is a video of the procedure David was referring to, in the video he is using a normal watch case, so if it has a split stem, it might work for you..

jim1228
                    Participant

Hey Steve,
                      Thanks for sharing that video. I am still trying to figure this out.
                      William, My brain can figure out some things sometimes but I am thinking about that hammer. Haha

Jim

mrroundel
                      Participant

This looks like the same type of case that Girard-Perregaux used with their forties vintage Seahawks. They do indeed have the split stem. If so, it needs to be removed by removing the stem, then pushing the movement out of the bezel through the back. It is the same type of case used by Benrus. I happen to have a Benrus tool for this. I don’t think it’s necessary, but it makes it easier, and probably better when putting it back together. In fact, I may not have had the tool when I serviced my Seahawk, but it’s been quite a few years since I did that.

I’ll attach a jpeg of the instructions for removal with the Benrus Waterproof case design. Again, I believe that this is what your Omega is. I’ll try to check back later to see if I can offer more assistance. I’m not expert, but I have seen a few things during my years of watch enthusiasm. I BELIEVE that yours is this style of case. Proceed with caution, just in case I’m wrong. Good luck.

MrR

randy
                        Participant

Jim.
                          I think both David and Mr Roundel are onto something here.
                          I’ve also seen cases ( Hamilton CLD for example ) from that era where the movement comes our through the front of the case.
                          See if you can pry off the front bezel.
                          If you can, then turn the crown to see if it’s a split stem. You’ll have to align it so that the slots face you.
                          Then put some watch paper in your hand and invert the case..the movement should fall out.

Best of luck buddy.

Randy

jim1228
                          Participant

Hey All,
                            I am going to try and use my crystal lift again, I really hope It doesn’t come apart. The first time I tried it didn’t budge.
                            Thank you for your suggestions I will let you know what happens.
                            Jim

jim1228
                            Participant

Update;
                              Dave and MrRoundel were correct. The watch has a split stem. The issue was, the crystal was very hard to lift. I had to actually pull to get the crystal off, after that it was home free.
                              Thanks again guys.
                              I wish you well
                              Jim

stevefitzwater
                              Participant

Great!! Nicely done…. that is one for the memory bank!

mrroundel
                                Participant

Good job. I’m glad that I could add something in making the job easier. Good luck with the repair/servicing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.