Home Forums General Discussion Forum Urgos UW326910

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    disciple_dan
    Participant

Hello, all. disciple _dan here.
      I’m stumped by this Urgos Uw326910 from a Ridgeway case I have. It is not working properly. It keeps the right time from about 5:00 through 12:00 but when it gets to 1:00 the locking lever lands on top of the second tooth on the rack. Of course, it counts 1:00 then but when it gets to 2:00 the locking lever land on top of the third tooth and counts 1:00 again. Then, when it gets to 3:00 the locking lever lands kind of in between the 3rd and 4th tooth and when the gathering pallet comes around it flicks the rack up and counts 2:00 and so on.???????????? As the hours’ increase, it seems to start falling in the correct teeth but it is already an hour behind.
      I’m still studying it and will send more soon.
      I don’t see how I need to correct this situation.
      Anybody got any Ideas?
      Thanks and have a great weekend, Danny

disciple_dan
      Participant

Here are some more pics of what I have observed. If I can get them in the right order it will be the first pic taken in the 8:00 position and then 10:00, 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00. As you can see the locking lever is riding on top of the teeth. How do I adjust this? Nothing looks bent or out of place.
        Thank you for your time. Danny

disciple_dan
        Participant

willofiam

Hey Dan, there are a couple of things to look at. First would be the relationship of the rack tail and the snail…is the rack tail resting on the approximate center of the snails “shelf” for each hour? The best way to test for this is to move the minute hand thru the chiming sequence, having the movement to run either with its provided power or by finger power. The reason for this is so the center cam is using the long lobe when the hour strike happens. If you dont test by using the long lobe on the center cam then the snail may be in the wrong position. When the rack drops check where the rack tail sits on that snails “shelf”. If this is set up right then the next thing to look at is where the rack hook rests on the rack…if it is off like you have stated and shown in your pictures then the adjustment is at the rack tail, the piece that protrudes over to the snail and rests on that snails “shelf”. To adjust the rack tail on most clocks look to the pivot point between the RACK and the RACK TAIL, this pivot point can be manipulated to change where the rack hook and rack teeth interact, adjust as needed. Some rack and snail set ups require a different approach but it is the same concepts. When messing with that pivot point see how tight it is…sometimes that pivot point can become loose so by whatever method you have…tighten it up so it wont move when the rack is dropped (most likely moves at the later hours because of the distance of dropping creating a bit more force) Have fun with this Dan…plan on spending some time figuring all that out but when you do it will make sense for all rack and snail movements.

disciple_dan
            Participant

Hey, William, Thanks for the great answer. Well stated.
              All of the pics were taken with the chiming weight on and the strike weight off. I moved the minute hand through each sequence and when the long lobe actuated the locking lever and dropped the rack I was able to see where it was landing and take the photo.
              I’m not sure I understand what is meant by “the pivot point between the RACK and the RACK TAIL” Do you mean the arbor that the rack is clipped on to?
              [attachment=0:3cgd92is]imageedit_3_2491068303.gif[/attachment:3cgd92is]
              Another thing I just noticed as I was inspecting the pivot point: The center arbor has a seemingly large range of motion from side to side. I just did another test where I held the center arbor up a little while the rack fell and it landed in between the correct teeth. When I released the arbor it the locking lever was on top of the tooth again. I’m thinking I just found the problem. I need to bush the plate at the center arbor. This clock runs well and doesn’t seem to have excessive wear at other points. However, it is an old movement. I’m not sure how to tell the year on an Urgos.
              I would still like to understand the adjustment for the “the pivot point between the RACK and the RACK TAIL” Please tell me where to find more info on that.
              Well, Thanks again for all your help, William. Please tell me what you think about that center arbor having so much movement.
              Danny

willofiam

yup….most likely you found the problem, so basically the snail is moved a bit changing the contact point for the rack tail so things are not lining up…..yes that was the point BUT I am wrong about being able to adjust that pivot area…alot of clocks have a 2 piece construction there with the rack and rack tail made out of 2 different pieces. They can get loose at that point over time and change how far the rack drops….yours isnt like that….sorry.

disciple_dan
                Participant

William, thank you for the great information. Danny

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.