Home Forums General Discussion Forum update Hamiton 992 knocking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sgoodstal
    Participant

As normally the case, the problem is right in front of you. A few month back I posted a question about a Hamilton making a loud knocking sound and running extremely fast. So after changing two balance staffs, roller jewel cleaning countless times I thought to check the arc which I should have done eight months ago when I started this project and noticed that I was only getting 360deg 180 in each direction so upon further investigation I noticed that on the 992 there is a cap jewel over the pallet fork and low and behold the screw that holds it in place was just too high and the balance arm was hitting it in each rotation. Changed screw and WOW it runs great. So the lesson here is 1>im not the brightest tool on my bench and two stick with it and look for the obvious. Thank you all for your great suggestions and encouragement. I needed it all. This watch almost made me take up another hobby. LOL

Bob Tascione

Congratulations Sgoodstal!
        I just checked out your original thread at http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=879&p=5388&hilit=hamilton+992+knocking#p5388 and it looks like William (Willofiam) called it right when he said:

check that screws are not protruding and touching anything in the balance area

Enjoy,
        Bob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.