Home Forums General Discussion Forum Unusual PSB

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

I came across this unusual Waltham PSB, unusual as in its two tone config for a 16s. At first I thought it was a Frankenstein 😯 due to 98% of the PSBs seen are either full gilt or full nickel… The other interesting detail is the applied demaskeening on the brass part.
      The jewel settings are friction fit into the plate, while the jewels proper, are rubbed in.

Anyway, an anomaly, which are always an interesting study :ugeek:

maitai11
      Participant

It’s beautiful, Chris…are those bridges brass, bronze, or copper?

Tim :)

Edit: Escape wheel looks a little different. Very nice, indeed…

chris mabbott
        Participant

Tim, most watch plates are made from brass, which is a man made alloy. Copper and zinc are its primary ingredients.
          In fact, if you grind deeply enough on most nickel plates, you’ll find that they’re just plated with a thin layer of nickel.

Gilded is the same, brass base that is treated chemically/mechanically or otherwise, to produce a matt, semi rough effect.
          Either for visual, protection or maintenance purposes, or all of those reasons.

The escape is steel..

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Cool watch Chris. I have seen one other PSB like that. I thought at first it was a marriage of parts but a old watchmaker who had been doing watches for 64 yrs said no he had seen a few of them. Interesting.

chris mabbott
            Participant

Bernie, that’s what I thought at first, but after a search I found that Waltham made four models in the 16s PSB, an 1899 like the one shown, which was for the American market, a model 1899 that was nickel with brass winding wheel centers for the UK market and the model 1908 which was full gilt and the typical full nickel..

Thanks for the info buddy..

arutha
              Participant
                chris mabbott
                Participant

The PSB 18s two tones are fairly plentiful, I have 3 from the series, one which I have waiting in the production line :? , As are the full nickel 18s. There are also loads of 16s full nickel floating around too, but not so many full gilt or two tone 16s types.
                  The ones Waltham made for export were for the British tradition of gilt, which sold better than the “new fangled” American flash demaskeened line. Thats why I wonder what their plan was for my model 1899 2 tone?

As Bernie mentioned about the one he saw, this was also the only one I’ve seen in years…

Here’s the 18s PSB I have currently disassembled pending parts and turn :D

arutha
                  Participant

You certainly are building a beautiful collection Chris :)

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Paul, it has been a tough 35 yr road trip 😆

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Chris that is like the one I saw. I have only seen one other like the first one you posted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.