Home Forums General Discussion Forum Unknown Works.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dcclocks
    Participant

Need some help here. I recently came across a regulator clock time and strike. The works have no markings on them that I can find. The face has TM on it and a M inside what looks like a baseball diamond. I can not say this is the original face. I got the works to run strong. What is wrong and here is where all this comes together. The strike side.. The tooth on the ratchet has broken off. So.. looking to find the make of these works so I can get that gear wheel.. Or.. If there is any idea on how to fix this little problem. Duct tape and popsicle sticks are not working. Any help would be grateful. I have complete pictures.

bernie weishapl
      Participant

A picture of the wheel would be nice. Is it a tooth that turns the wheel itself or is it a stop pin? I think the clock you have is a Japanese clock. Meiji Clock Company, Japan is the trademark which you have. It is a ball diamond with a C with a M over it. Those are not to common so finding a replacement wheel may be hard to do. If it is just one tooth on the gear you can dovetail a piece of brass in swage it and tic solder it. File to shape.

willofiam

Hey guys. great job Bernie on finding that trade mark, what is your reference material?, my first thought was that it was a Asian movement but I couldnt prove it. I have a few movements in house but would have to see if they are similar or not, need more coffee this mourning. If you did post a photo of the issue either we could figure out a repair, find a part, or make a new one. William

dcclocks
          Participant

Bernie, Yes, Meiji is what I also found it to be. (Looks closest to which I could find) The wheel with the teeth are fine. What is broken is the little thing-a-ma-jig on the ratchet which falls into the tooth gears so the spring can be wound. The little thing-a-ma-jig is behind the hour wheel and is hard to get a picture of. It is the little piece when you to a spring let down you hold it back with a pick to release the tension on the spring. The very end of that is gone and not catching the ratchet. That is held on by a rivet. I don’t know if that can be knocked off, repaired, or if the works are worth the trouble going to this extent. I’ll send photo… best I can do in the morning. Thanks again!!
            David

dcclocks
            Participant

Ok, here is the little Thing-a-ma-jig I was talking about. Thanks! If there is a way to repair, replace rebuild.. Or is there another works manufacture that could just replace it. I was thinking of drilling the rivet out and trying a regular rivet. Or this may be beyond my repair capabilities.

willofiam

David, yes you can replace, you will have to disassemble the movement and take off the mainspring in order to properly get at it. Supply houses will have click assortment you can buy rather cheap remember there can be a left or right, they sometimes come with the rivets. You are right about drilling out the rivet yet all you have to do is center punch the riveted side and drill just until you can punch the rivet it through. You can also make a new click, use the old one as a template to start and then match up the rest with the good one, a small file, hammer, center punch and a drill bit will be enough tooling to get the job done, no duct tape or Popsicle sticks required. Notice the angle on the end of the good one, a click must want to pull itself INTO the ratchet, if it doesnt then it can push itself out of the ratchet and cause problems so make sure that angle is right, the rest is cake. Hope this helps. William

dcclocks
                Participant

William,
                  Thanks, Yes big help. Will have to search for the correct click arm. The ones Merritts have look kind of like it but not sure if the thickness is the same. Then I juat have to get brace enough to take the works apart and put it back together the same way it came apart. I have an old Seth Thomas 89C but that one looks a lot different. Thanks again!! Will search for the right one and hopefully get this one going.
                  David.

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

If memory serves me right they are Ansonia style clicks. Probably like these. http://timesavers.com/i-8948055-ansonia-click-rivet-pack-small.html
                    Check Timesavers as he has a ton of clicks that may work for you that come complete with rivets and click springs. http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=clicks&go=Search
                    David sometimes when you get clicks from these companies you may have to file or shape some of them. If you need a rivet you can make them easily on a lathe. You definitely will have to disassemble the clock to do this repair. You will also have to remove the mainspring as William said and make sure you make a note of how it came off so you don’t reverse it. Don’t ask me how I know this. 😳 Just look the clock over and make sure you study it especially the strike side so you know how all the stop works work and how it is sequenced. Take pictures if you need to as I find on clocks i am unfamiliar with it will help upon reassembly.

William I have had a couple of these clocks in recently and was given the info by a clocksmith on the clocksmith forums. I did a google search for Japanese clock trademarks and found it also. Here is a list of trademarks for Japanese clocks. http://www.japaneseclocklogos.com/alphalogo/alphatable.htm#M Look under C and you will find 3 trademarks C04A, C04B, C04C.

willofiam

Thanks Bernie, great reference site! William

dcclocks
                      Participant

Thanks for all the help. Lots of information to digest. Installing a new rivet is beyond my scope of work at this time. Just begging in the tinkering, Will have to take that part to a repair shop and see if they can install the new click once they arrive and after modification. Lots of pictures I agree, hopefully. Thanks again for all the help!! Will keep in touch and let you all know once this clock is put back together and with pics.

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

David don’t forget if you decide to take the clock apart the mainsprings must be restrained. If not it will get ugly quick. 😆 Are you taking the clock course from Bob? If so just put the clock aside till you finish the course.

dcclocks
                          Participant

Yes, I have the main spring retaining “C’s” And have taken a Seth Thomas 89c apart and back together. This will be the first time I’m really going to get into the springs.
                            I talked to a guy at a local clock repair….. And he told me he does not work on ANYTHING from China, Japan, Korea…So This clock may have to be placed aside until I can find some one to replace this click. BUT>>>> Not sure if this is going to work or not. I did find a “Seikosha” Which looks almost the exact same. I was planning on using the wheel from that and putting it on the Meiji.

I have signed up and able to view the videos. I do need to “Start” the course. Have watched the animated videos. Read lots of books, and my Uncle has been rebuilding clocks for 50+ years.

dcclocks
                            Participant

Bernie,
                              Well the old Seikosha has a totally different click on each side. The one on the strike side looks nothing like the click and the wheel is a tad different. My question to you….. Do you or do you know of anyone that would be able to replace this click with a batch of clicks I bought. Could send just the wheel and clicks or the entire works. Thank you.

bernie weishapl
                              Participant

David contact Bob and get my e-mail address. I will send you my address and then you can send me just he wheels (no springs) and the new clicks. I will install them for you and if different clicks are needed I will let you know. Make sure when you take the springs off you mark which wheel is the strike and time. Also make a notation of how the springs come off and go back on.

dcclocks
                                Participant

Bernie,
                                  Thank you for the help. I will sit down this weekend and or the next and take the works apart. I’ll email you upon getting that information
                                  David

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.