Home Forums General Discussion Forum Unknown Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Had this clock come in for repair and I cannot find a name or symbol anywhere on this clock. Nothing on the dial, movement or back cover. I told him I would look at it and let him know what I find. Well took the movement out of the case today and it is a mess. The hairspring has been really messed up and the pins in the pallet assembly were replaced with nails. Small nails. Also the pallet assembly where the fork accepts the pin on the escape wheel has been bent every which way. I think I straightened it out pretty well but I am thinking the hairspring is my major problem. Not sure where to even get one. Anyone have any ideas what the clock maker is or if these hairsprings can be had? Thanks.

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Couple of photos of the case.

willofiam

Nice looking clock Bernie, cant help with a maker, BUT, I know from recent experience that finding a replacement hairspring for a older clock can be a frustrating task. At first glance the hairspring does not look too bad, does it look like the full length is there? could be put back into shape especially with your new eyes 😯 and some very careful “tweaking”. William

arutha
          Participant

Hi Bernie,
            I would say that is a German clock, it is a copy or styled on the French black slate clocks which some of the American makers also did but they always put their name on the movement as far as I am aware, this only leaves the Germans who don’t often put their names on movements.
            Bernie, if you have an old similar hairspring, have a practice on it with a couple of pairs of fine tweezers. It won’t take a man of your talent long to get to grips with adjusting them and as William says, with your new eyes you will be laughing :)
            Paul.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Thanks guys. I got the hairspring straightened out the best I could. Worked on it for about 2 1/2 hrs. I am going on the net to see about some different tweezers. I also reduced the size of the pallet pins by about 30 thousandths. I have to go back in and also see why I am not getting full power to the escape wheel. Probably should have told them to just take their clock but I am in to deep to back out now. Will hit it again tomorrow.

chris mabbott
              Participant

Bernie I concur with Pauls Concurrence, that it is a German or German style clock. I know, as a watch guy I have no place to comment here, the shame 😥 But as happens, I was looking at one similar, although not identical to this, in case design/material… pic below

The hairsprings can be found on eBay, I made the mistake a long time ago of thinking they were for watches, but they were large clock types. I still see them advertised..

Pallet PINS, where’s the beef, I mean the jewels ;)

‘m sure you’ll sort it out Bernie and have it ticking toute suite..

bernie weishapl
                Participant

Thanks Chris. I will give a look see on the big bay.

arutha
                  Participant

I watched Daryn work on a pin pallet movement once that was being a bit problematic. He said the corners of the teeth on the escape wheel were worn and rounded enough to stop the pallet pins from dropping off. I watched him file each tooth up in a vice, put it back together and it then ran without issue.
                    Just something that could be worth looking at.
                    Paul.

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

Thanks Paul I will surely give that a look see. Going to recheck the pivots and measure carefully. A couple of the wheels pivots might be tapered on one end. If so will straighten out, rebush and then see how she goes. Got the pins replaced in the pallet forks so hopefully that will help. Just amazes me what people use to repair these things. I have a day of service calls tomorrow so won’t be in the shop till Friday. First call at 7:30 am with 5 more to follow and about a 210 mile round trip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.