Home Forums General Discussion Forum ultrasonic cleaning solution

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jreich
    Participant

Hello,

I just received my ultrasonic cleaner and am looking for a cleaning solution formula. I could sware that I saw a mixture that someone uses the first time I was in this forum but I cannot find it now. I know that besides water, dish soap was added and I thought some acetone. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

jreich the rookie

Bob Tascione

Hi Jreich,
        Hey you’re right. I just tried to find the post too but found nothing. I’ll try to find that post tonight.
        I would recommend using a commercial ultrasonic solution though.
        If I remember correctly your interest is in watches. I’m assuming that you purchased a jewelry cleaner type ultrasonic. In case you don’t already know, here are a few tips on using your ultrasonic that might help. First fill the sonic about 3/4 full with water and a couple of drops of bleach. You can put your cleaning and rinse solution in separate baby food type jars or beakers. The thinner the better. Your parts can then be put directly into the cleaning solution jar or better still placed in little baskets first and then placed into the jar. Baskets can be purchased at watch material houses. The jars can then be placed into the ultrasonic tank one after the other without having to change the tank solution each time. The ultrasonic waves will pass right through the glass jar resulting in cavitation of the solution. It’s a good idea to get the jars up off of the bottom of the ultrasonic by putting a spacer of some kind under the jar.

I’ll see if I can dig that post up and will add it to your thread.
        Enjoy!
        Bob

jreich
        Participant

Thanks Bob for the reply. I am not beginning working on watches but instead 8 day movements. I did purchase a less expensive cleaner but it has very good reviews and a larger tank than most so that it will handle a decent amount of parts. I have a pre 1900 Sessions kitchen clock wihich will serve as my first venture in taking apart a movement, cleaning and putting it back together. I plan on watching your video again and then have the video in front of me when I begin work.

If I do get into to much trouble I have a buddy who has repaired many clocks and he will help me out. Again thanks and if you fine that post let me know and in the mean time I can order some from timesavers.

Jim

Bob Tascione

Hi Jim,
            I’m sorry…I was thinking watches when I read your post.
            I do give a mixture in one of the Clock videos that works pretty well. The only problem with it is that it needs to be throughly mixed every day or so as the Oleic acid tend to coagulate on top of the solution. You can always cut back on the Oleic acid but…I would still recommend a commercial cleaner if you can grab one.
            Well, let us know how things work out with that Sessions Jim and hope you Enjoy your first project!

Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.