Home Forums General Discussion Forum ULTRASONIC CLEANER for WATCHES

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    byjwr1
    Participant

Hello Fellow Members,

I am interested in purchasing an Ultrasonic Cleaner and Ultrsonic Solutions for pocket watches. I have a
      large Ultrasonic Cleaner and solution that I use for clocks, but , I believe a seperate and smaller Cleaner and
      solution should be used for pocket watches? I would appreciate your input/recommendation on the type of
      Ultrasonic Cleaner, Solution and size that would do an effective job of cleaning pocket watches without
      doing damage to the watch. I believe the type of solution used is very important.

Thank You

BYJWR1

Bob Tascione

Hi BYJWR1,
        I thought I would quit hogging the forum and give someone else a chance to post on this one but it looks like most of us up in the northern hemisphere are off enjoying our summer vacation.
        Yes I think you’re correct about using a smaller ultrasonic machine. I usually have to learn things the hard way. I tried long ago using a large L&R Clock Cleaner by putting the watch cleaning and rinsing solutions into separate smaller beakers and then placing them one at a time into the tank. It seemed to work ok for a bit until I blew the jewels out of one of my older watches! It seems that ultrasonics have a way of seeking out small imperfections that a jewel may have (especially in older jewels) which blows them apart if powerful enough. I don’t know if that’s what really happens as I’m guessing here. I just know that after a few attempts (slow learner) I decided to change to a smaller machine. Maybe one could experiment with thicker walled jars to see if that cuts down on the amount of cavitation inside the jars. That would be interesting to know. Also when using an ultrasonic it is important to use a solution made for ultrasonic cleaning. I use L&R ultrasonic solutions. There are others that may be just as good. I just tend to stick with things that work well for me and L&R products have always been great. Customer support is also very good.
        Many people are using jewelry ultrasonic cleaners and jars with success. Again if they seem to deliver too much power then you may want to try thicker walled jars to see if that helps.
        Although I prefer using a combo mechanical ultrasonic machine or a combination of both a mechanical machine and an ultrasonic this is obviously a more expensive option and since you are asking about ultrasonics exclusively here that’s what I’ll address. There’s a used machine called the WatchMaster that I still see surface up on ebay quite often at reasonable prices. I’ve attached a couple of pics of one. This was and still is a popular machine and does a pretty good job.
        Also this topic was coverd previously up here at the following link: <!– l –>viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54<!– l –>
        May wish to check it out.
        Hope this helps you BYJWR1,
        Enjoy,
        Bob

byjwr1
        Participant

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your input! Your information is very helpful. I am using an L&R Ultrasonic Waterless Clock Cleaning
          Solution for the clocks. I think I will also stay with an Ultrasonic Waterless Cleaner Solution for Watches. I am a
          little hesitant about using a water base solution although it probably does the job just fine.

I am in the process of buying a new and smaller Ultrasonic CleanerWatches. Hopefully, it will do the job!

Thanks Again Bob.

BYJWR1

david pierce
          Participant

Bob and Friends,
            I have had excellent luck with an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner I purchased from Harbor Freight for @ $25.00. It is a perfece size for watches. The cleaning fluid I have been using is straight naptha. It can be purchased by the gallon from Home Depot. I have even cleaned hairsprings with this system and have gotten excellent results. This is certainly not a designer label process but it works well and it is inexpensive.
            David Pierce

byjwr1
            Participant

Hello David,

Thanks for your input! Sounds like a winner. I am not familier with naptha. I will Check it out.

Thanks Again

BYJWR1

jpewslgl
              Participant

David,

In another post, Bob mentioned that it was possible to use Coleman fuel as it was naptha. However, there is the obvious danger of flamability with using Coleman fuel.

Is the Naptha from Home Depot safer to use, ie less flamable than Coleman fuel? I did clean my watch with the Coleman fuel and it did a good job, but I cleaned them outside… I’d rather not resort to doing all my cleaning outside, with winter on the way :)

Thanks for all the help!

Jimmy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.