Home Forums General Discussion Forum Twist Lock Spring Barrel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rauman
    Participant

I’m working on a Junghans W277 movement and it has a spring barrel type I haven’t seen before. This barrel is open on one side and the spring is secured by the great wheel / gear which mounts with a twist lock onto the barrel. See picture. apparently the previous repairer had a difficult time with one of these as the barrel is a bit beat up and the wheel spokes are not locked into place. I think the barrel has gotten a little out of round making mounting difficult.

The other barrel is in good shape, but I can’t hold the barrel in one hand and gear in the other and just unlock and remove the gear. I can think of ways to hold it down and tap it out, but I thought first I’d ask on this forum to see if there is a more elegant way experts approach this problem! I’m still relatively new at this and, as always, learning!

Any suggestions regarding removal of the wheel that will not beat it up will be appreciated!

willofiam

Hey Bob, cant remember exactly what I did but I do know I had one that was pretty stubborn in the past, I have a faint recollection that thick leather was involved, I suppose I used it to be able to grip the barrel better….no elegance here, at least not today anyway. Sorry I am not much help, let us know how it goes ….William

willofiam

O.K. thinking about your dilemma. If you have a large lathe with a 3 jaw chuck and some leather, that would help hold the barrel. If no 3 jaw chuck then I would try some leather, like a old belt, wrap it once around (dont overlap) and grab the ends in a vise, as you twist the barrel or wheel the leather would act like a oil filter removal tool (hope that makes sense) wetting the leather may help grip better. As for something to twist the wheel and not harm it I would try a piece of flat wood (a 1 x 2 or thereabouts), drill a hole in the center for the arbor and locate 2 or 3 strategic spots to insert some wood dowels that will hit the spokes of the wheel when twisting. Just some ideas.
          Thanks for the question, I love brainstorming ideas. William

rauman
          Participant

Good suggestions William – however, before I got to your response I discovered another way that worked quite well.

I think this is actually called a ‘bayonette” barrel – for the way the gear slides in and locks, I guess. Makes sense. I was able to old the barrel using a strap wrench in one hand and – as you suggested – a heavy leather glove on the other. I’ve always associated this with an oil filter! In any case it worked. The warped barrel still made it difficult to get back together, but at least I was able to get the barrels apart and service the springs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.