Home Forums General Discussion Forum troubleshoot question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

I have a waltham pocket watch and when i would turn the crown the hands wouldnt even more to be set. I bought a sleeve wrench and used that to adjust the sleeve and got the hands to move however, the second hand doesnt tick and it seems like it is fully wind because i cant move the crown anymore there is total resistance. I havent taken the watch apart, but can anyone kinda tell me what it might be so that when I open it up I have a heads up. I was thinking about powering down the mainspring and rewinding it. Thanks everyone.

c.kelly
      Participant

Would need more info. Does balance swing freely when shake movement or does it wobble a bit? If balance is good probably just needs a good cleaning. Be interested in what you find.

chaplin37
        Participant

Thanks for the reply, the balance swings freely when i shake it and also when i shake it the balance moves and the second hand starts ticking so maybe it just needs a good cleaning. I will let you know as soon as i get my ultrasonic machine. Thanks again

c.kelly
          Participant

Sounds as if you have good watch. Mainspring is good, balance is good. Only othe issue might be broken pivot or bad wheel somewhere but would bet on just a bit of dirt preventing power transfer to balance. You can clean by hand if you don’t won’t to wait on machine. I have done that several times with wristwatches and works fine. Just takes a little time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.