Home Forums General Discussion Forum Tools & Mystery Tools

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

<span style=”color: #BF0000″>I would like to start this thread as a VISUAL aid for the benefit of those of us that encounter the occasional mystery tool that we have no idea what it is. Also, to maybe add one or more of our own favorite tools OR a tool/jig that we have fabricated ourselves to make life easier, or simply to accomplish a one off task that there was no tool for.</span>

I’ll start with this really old hairspring vibrator that I found a while ago, by accident. It actually works very well once you get the hang of it.
      Unlike the high grade (Luffy?) this one relies on a known, good movement, which is placed under the glass by which you can set the beat of your HS.

The thing I like about this little guy is that the part where the lead spring feeds through to shorten or lengthen, (which on most is an alligator clip style)
      this one has a thumb wheel/screw and two rollers that allow you to change the length while it is oscillating.
      I am actually thinking of making a brass base and mounting a movement inside, permanently..

<span style=”color: #800040″>TUNE OF THE DAY I’M A LINK</span>

demewill
      Participant

Are all horologists Tool Junkies? I know I am.
        That is a nice tool and I agree that the adjustment mechanism is a cut above. Excellent tools are a pleasure to have and to hold. The older tools have an elegance not readily available today.
        Dan

arutha
        Participant

Hi Chris,
          how is the balance wheel supported so you can see if the vibration is correct?
          Paul.

tmac1956
          Participant

Chris:

Now that is one kool tool me friend!

Thansk!
            Tom

willofiam

Fantastic, I love that idea of being able to run the hairspring through by the thumb screw. Chris, when will mine be ready? :D William

willofiam

Just had a thought on this tool, Chris, if you had a kinked hairspring handy, see if running it through holding portion will straighten it out. I once made a 3 point roller setup to slightly curve guitar frets before installing them (the fret board has a slight radius) made it much easier to install the frets. so my thought is this idea may aid in straightening out a kinked or bent hairspring (to a point) William

mahlon
                Participant

I am not sure what you watch people are talking about, but I like the idea of permanently mounting a movement, but I would probably cover it with a dome and make a display out of it. :? Mahlon

chris mabbott
                  Participant

@Arutha wrote:

Hi Chris,
                    how is the balance wheel supported so you can see if the vibration is correct?
                    Paul.

Paul, on this antique model, the balance sits on its pivot directly on the glass and is supported by the lead of the hairspring. Unlike the Cadillac of vibrators which you can see here…. Luthy which is a lot newer than mine, and has its own little jeweled balance and its own movement
                    This one of mine does do a decent job but it takes practice, like anything.

@willofiam wrote:

Just had a thought on this tool, Chris, if you had a kinked hairspring handy, see if running it through holding portion will straighten it out. I once made a 3 point roller setup to slightly curve guitar frets before installing them (the fret board has a slight radius) made it much easier to install the frets. so my thought is this idea may aid in straightening out a kinked or bent hairspring (to a point) William

I never thought about that William, good idea, next bent HS i’ll give it a shot. I should have tried it on the one in the above photo, which had a bent spring, it was just my practice piece ;)

OK guys, post your favorite, most unusual, or best tool/invention/jig etc

arutha
                    Participant

Ok, this is going to seem like a strange tool to post but here are some buff sticks (photo courtesy of Daryn as I forgot to photograph mine).

these are made from aluminium bar and have wet &dry paper fixed to them with double sided carpet tape (its white and looks almost woven). I bought a length of aluminium bar from ebay, cut it into three pieces and put a different grade of paper on each side so I have 6 different grades. The beauty of these is that they are very rigid and when the paper gets worn you just peel it off and put a new bit on. I use these every day in the workshop, so much more economical than buying those wood buff sticks. This was Daryns idea which I borrowed :)
                      Paul.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.