• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Just got home from doing clock calls all day. 128 mile round trip on 6 clock calls. Anyway my wife told me I had three boxes in todays mail. I should have only had one box come in and that would be a pallet warmer I bought off ebay. Well about a month ago I bought a poising tool from a gentleman in California who’s dad was a watchmaker for 48 yrs and had passed away. He was trying to list most of the shop on ebay and said he was getting tired. I told him that I was honored to get such a nice piece and hoped I would do his dad proud using this tool. Anyway back to the mail today. I opened the first box and it had watch tools. I just couldn’t remember buying anything so opened the second box. There was a letter in there and he said these were the remaining small tools from his dad’s shop. He said he was moved by my e-mail to him about his dad that he wanted me to have these tools as a gift from him and his dad. I just sat there and said WOW!! I just couldn’t believe someone would do that especially for me. This is what was sent.

1. #128 mainspring winder with 9 mainspring holders.
      2. balance screw undercutter
      3. Injection oiler
      4. G-S crystal gage
      5. Watch hand holder for broaching.
      6. Gage for Swiss watches and American watches.
      7. K & D Pallet arbor punches #331
      8. #3 sweep wheel remover
      9. Incabloc Punches and stumps

7, 8 & 9 I am going to have to research what they are for.

Wow I just don’t know what else to say.

david pierce
      Participant

Bernie,
        It looks like you are back in the watch business. It gives me a good feeling to see these tools going to someone who knows how to use them, and I am sure the person who gave them to you feels the same way. I become extremely disheartened when I see someone buy a high end watchmaker lathe from an estate sale and then disassemble it and sell it off in parts.
        david

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Thank you David. Yes when I first bought my Boley many years ago. There was a guy that had one with almost a completed set of collets, a collet holding tailstock and a compound slide. I could not talk him into selling me the whole set. This was 1990 or 1991 and I had offered him $900 and he wouldn’t take it. He parted the dang thing out on ebay. I was sick. I don’t know if he sold it all or not but I do know I followed him and what I saw that he did sell he was at $470. It happens all the time.

chris mabbott
          Participant

Bernie, this couldn’t have happened to a nicer and more worthy man… That would be you:-)

Enjoy the gift…

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Not worthy of such praise but thank you Chris.

Now can you or anyone else explain to me what 7, 8 & 9 are. I pretty much know what the rest are and how they are used but to be truthfully honest I have seen those last 3.

chris mabbott
              Participant

7. Is for replacing the arbor on the pallet fork I believe, never used one.

9. Is for working on incanbloc shock system jewels, you have to punch out the center element from the outer on some, others you have to use the punches to remove the setting from the balance cock.
                Personally I collect older watches that were before incanbloc, I have one accidental purchase, I broke the spring… Ooops

Sweep wheel puller? Isn’t that for the cannon pinion ?
                Can you post a pic Bernie …

bernie weishapl
                Participant

I will Chris tomorrow. What it looks like is this except about half the size. What I wrote above was taken right off the box. Wonder if it is for second hands?

chris mabbott
                  Participant

Ah, it’s the presto tool, it can be used to remove watch hands and the canon pinion with the larger model.

I had a senior moment last night at 3 am LOL
                    These usually come in three sizes, this one may be the largest? It should have nylon tips or bumpers to
                    Protect the watch face or whatever surface.

gerene
                    Participant

Hello Bernie,

The presto tool in the picture is indeed a hand remover. The sweep wheel remover looks almost the same but is made (as the name indicates ;) )for removing sweep wheels from chronographs. It is made such that wheels with an uneven number of spokes can be pulled of without bending the arbor.

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Thanks that is what I was wondering. I can still use my paper with the V cut in it to protect the dial and use it for the second hand.

arutha
                        Participant

Well done Bernie,
                          nice to know good things still happen to good people :)
                          Paul.

david pierce
                          Participant

Bernie,
                            The guy on the Watch Repair Channel uses a plastic bag and curved pry bars to remove watch hands. It seems to work very well. Perplxr has a video about grinding the tips of your Presto type tool to make them work properly. There is obviously no single correct way to remove the hands as long as the process doesn’t scratch the watch face or damage the tiny shafts that hold the hands.
                            david

bernie weishapl
                            Participant

Thanks Paul. I was just astounded when they arrived and will be put to good use for sure. Was pleasantly surprised with the #128 mainspring winder as William had sent me a #128 and #126 to try. I liked them both but the 126 just seemed to work a little better. Would have liked to had them both as I could see situations for both but wanted to save a little money but now have them both.

David I hear ya. I have been looking a video’s and like anything else there are many ways to skin a cat as my granddad would say.

arutha
                              Participant

Hey David, I have watched the guy using the plastic bag and to me it just looks so wrong, I can’t see how he manages it without distorting the hands but it must work ok for him as it is the method he always uses.
                                I prefer the card with a “v” cut into it to protect the dial and two small screwdrivers twisted in opposite directions but I am sure everyone has their preffered method.
                                Paul.

bernie weishapl
                                Participant

I found and still have the little piece of card with a v cut in it. Plastic bag looks awkward but he seems to have it down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.