Home Forums General Discussion Forum Tool query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    martinbevis123
    Participant

Hi

I have recently had the good fortune to acquire a number of tools / books etc. from a retiring clock repairer who had repaired a number of my parents clock. Amongst them was this tool which I haven’t seen anything like and wondered if anyone can tell me what it would be for? My thought is to punch holes in suspension springs – am I right?

Thanks

Martin

Bob Tascione

Hi Martin,
        Yes that’s right. That’s a mainspring punch which is used to punch holes in mainsprings but I suppose it would work for suspension springs as well. There’s also a tool that’s almost exactly the same but has an additional feature to punch the hooks into watch barrels.

Bob

martinbevis123
        Participant

Hi Bob

Thanks so much for getting back to me with this information. I have not needed to do any work yet that requires this tool but hopefully one day I will need to and will find it very useful. Now I know what it is for I will try and get round to practicing using it soon.

Martin

Bob Tascione

Hey you’re welcome Martin.
            It’s one of those tools that you won’t use everyday but a real timesaver when it’s needed….and it will be needed! :)
            I put a pic of mine below. Very similar to yours but the stop screw is in the jaw rather than in the handle. Mine doesn’t have the barrel punch option either. Would be nice to have one of those but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one available anywhere.
            Take care,
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.