Home Forums General Discussion Forum Timing a watch or clock.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    yerigh
    Participant

Hi everyone. Instead of writing Bob direct regarding this question, I thought everyone should hear it. I have the DVD course so I’m not sure if you explain this in your online course. I am looking for a timing machine to use mostly for watches, but I’ve always thought if I’m going to get one get one that does clocks as well. I heard that you should learn to time a watch without using a timing machine first so that when you do get one it will be easier to understand and not have to rely on expensive equipment. Is there somewhere on your site or DVDs that explain how to time a watch or clock? If not would you be willing to come out with one or post the instructions online?

Thank you.
      Peter

oldtimers
      Participant

I would also be interested in a timing machine that does both watches and clocks.
        Bob does cover timing a watch in positions in the online course under Timing Out.
        He also covers some clock timing stuff in the clock section of the course in Video 1 under the quick link that says Pendulum Theory.

Any idea on an all purpose all around timing machine at a reasonable price?
        John

Bob Tascione

Thanks John,
          Video 1 in the Clock course DVDs and the Timing Out section in the course manual would cover the same topics.
          As for a timing machine that will cover clocks and watches I would HIGHLY recommend Bryan Mumfords “MicroSet” timers. They are excellent machines and very reasonable. His url is http://www.bmumford.com
          His machines are popular for very good reasons. I believe they are the best out there for the money.
          I’m pretty sure there are other members up here that use MicroSet that would agree.
          Enjoy!
          Bob

clam71
          Participant

Currently, I’m bench-testing a Waltham Riverside movement for accuracy.
            Geeze, that balance swings happily ! I could actually see it getting happier as it ran-in.
            My opinion ? 2cents > I’m quite astute as far as electronic stuff goes.
            I’ve built many-a-project. But this idea is questionable for these reasons.
            The balance of the watch is not a complete circle, IE, there’s a gap.
            The reason for this is to correct for temperature changes. The balance is made of
            a bi-metallic material and actually expands and contracts to correct itself.
            Also, watch oil’s viscosity is highly variable with temps. Other factors likely.
            So, to use an instrument who’se accuracy is super fine, you could drive yourself
            crazy trying to super-tune your watch. You’de get up in the morning and find
            it running a bit slow when last night you made sure it was dead-on.
            But your house’s thermostat is set for 65 at night and 72 during the day.
            I think the best you can do is to monitor the watch for a week when you’re happy
            with your work. Don’t think there’s a fast way around this method.
            It would, however, help to see if the watch’s timing changes as it is tilted here and there.
            I’ll pass on this one. Quartz movements are far superior in this regard.

stevefitzwater
            Participant

Not sure if this will help you, but give this a review and see if helps at all.

http://www.walthamwatchinfo.com/Helpful_Information_for_Watchmakers.php

There is a .pdf file there you can download to review if the information helps you.

This is a booklet given out by Waltham back in 1939

clam71
              Participant

My opinion on my last post on this subject has changed.
                Brighter minds are posting here !
                I have an old 1886 riverside movement that I’ve put into a plastic case and mounted an electret microphone into.
                I plugged that into my computer’s sound card and can hear it ticking all over the house !
                Next phase is to hook up my oscilloscope to it with a digital counter of some sort.
                Minor variences of speed are too miniscule to view directly on the scope.
                Just had an idea.. Computer’s bios system fan speed is basically a counter.
                Need to input a rock-solid frequency into it and reset it with the tick of the watch.
                Or some sort of configuration.
                Think I’m gonna go there….I’ll post info and results….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.