Home Forums General Discussion Forum Timing a watch before digital clocks…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

How did watch manufacturers time their watches before the digital age? They must have used a highly accurate analog devices, but how did they know if those devices where accurate? I’m speaking of pre-WWII here…

Just curious. Who knows, if we ever get hit with a Magnetic Pulse Weapon, this might be good to know. ;)

Thanks,
      tmac

Bob Tascione

Hi Tmac,
        I missed this post yesterday.
        Depends on how long before WWII you’re referring to. Timing machines were used for timing watches before WWII. Not sure when the first electronic timing machines hit the market but they’ve been around for a long time. Before these machines very accurate clocks such as jewelers regulators and astronomical regulators were used. These clocks were calibrated to star and solar transit pulses sent out by observatories. Before signals or pulses could be sent they still used precise observatory findings to set their clocks to. Now they probably just use their iPhones! ;)

Hope this helps Tmac,
        Bob

tmac1956
        Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Hi Tmac,
          I missed this post yesterday.
          Depends on how long before WWII you’re referring to. Timing machines were used for timing watches before WWII. Not sure when the first electronic timing machines hit the market but they’ve been around for a long time. Before these machines very accurate clocks such as jewelers regulators and astronomical regulators were used. These clocks were calibrated to star and solar transit pulses sent out by observatories. Before signals or pulses could be sent they still used precise observatory findings to set their clocks to. Now they probably just use their iPhones! ;)

Hope this helps Tmac,
          Bob

Yes… Thanks!
          tmac

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.