Home Forums General Discussion Forum This waltham traveler is driving me nuts.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Ok, so I still can’t figure out the problem or problems with this waltham traveler that I got several months ago. I have cleaned it, I have oiled it, I have replaced the mainspring, I have replaced the hairspring and it still is giving me the same problem. The problem is that the only way the balance will start to move is if i move it and when it moves it runs really slow for possible a minute and then it stops. I have truined, poised, and demagnetized the balance and it still is giving me the same problems. The balance is not rubbing up against anything either. I at the end of my rope with this thing.

jim1228
      Participant

Hi Chaplin37, I had a very similar problem with a Hampden. Not saying this is the answer but it turned out there was a very small burr just under the balance cock, it was just enough to NOT let it sit flush causing the balance to run slow. Sometimes that can easily be over looked.
        Good luck :)
        Jim

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin37,
          If it’s not what Jim suggests and your escapement looks really good and free then It’s quite possible that you’re losing power somewhere in the train. I remember your watch being a 7 jewel model. These watches do tend to wear easily as they lack train jewels and do often need bushings inserted. It’s really important that the pivots and holes are super clean. I’m pretty sure that’s not your problem as I know you’ve already checked that many times but thought I would mention it here for others that may have this problem in the future. Try removing the balance and test the pallet lever action. The pallet should “jump” back and forth between banking pins when unlocked by using a tiny brass pin or even a bristle from a brush. If the action is sluggish then your problem lies either with the train or mainspring or both. If sluggish then remove the pallets (let down power first) and then wind the watch a few turns to get the train turning. Watch the escape wheel to see what it does when it stops. A healthy power transfer throughout the train will usually cause the escape wheel to stop when all power is dissipated and then “reverse” it’s direction, spinning backwards a few turns. If it does this then it’s good in that position. You’ll want to wind it enough so that the inertia of the train over runs the mainspring power a bit at the end so that the spring will give some “back power” (I have no idea what the correct terminology for this back power is :D). Then try it in different positions. Should be consistent in all positions.

After these tests please let us know what you find out Chaplin37!

Bob

chaplin37
          Participant

I figured it out everyone it was the pallet fork, I switched it out with the exact same waltham traveler that I bought just for parts to fix this one. Now a new problem has come up that wasnt happening before. The mainspring is slipping and its not slipping from the arbor but from the piece it attaches to on the barrel(the mainspring isn’t a t end mainspring, its the other kind). I bought a new mainspring a couple of weeks ago, everything was working fine with it until today. I had to remove the mainspring from the barrel a number of times and at first it wasnt happening but after the 4th time it started to slip. I tried installing it into the other barrel that I have and the same thing happened, so I installed the old mainspring and I was having the same problem with the old mainspring. My question is since I removed the mainspring a number of times today did I weaken it and thats the reason for the slipping? Thanks Bob and everyone who is helping me out on this watch.

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin37,
              You might just need to reshape the end of your spring again. Check to see if it’s lost it’s sharp edge where it catches on the barrel hook. You can to this with small round file tilted at an angle. If the spring looks good then you may need to file a bit of an undercut on the barrel hook (pin) so it catches the spring.
              Please let us know what you find out Chaplin37,
              Good luck…you’ve almost got it!!!!!
              Bob

chaplin37
              Participant

It looks like the angel is good. I should have mentioned that when i installing the mainspring into the barrel that it hooks onto the hook fine, i can wind the watch to a point and the it slips off the hook

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin37,
                  You mentioned the possibility of weakening the spring by replacing it several times. I don’t think that would be the problem but what you suggest could be close. Is it possible that the hole end got bent a little and isn’t pressing against the barrel wall when inserted? If the end curls inward (toward the barrel arbor) just a little it may not catch as well it should. This does happen.
                  Also the hook itself can sometimes wear and need to have an under cut filed to catch the spring properly or the hook (rivet) may have become loose in the barrel. This is also quite common. Also something not so common but does occur is barrel distortion where the hook is attached has bulged outward. Any of these things can result in a mainspring slipping off of the hook.

Well, I just woke up here this morning and haven’t had my cup of coffee yet so my mind is functioning even less than usual! I’ll throw a cup of coffee in my face and will think more on it this morning.
                  Bob

willofiam

Bob BE CAREFUL with that coffee, you could get burned and have to sue yourself. Hey Chaplin37 heres a picture for you, I painted it on the wall in the shop, we all might be nuts 😆

Bob Tascione

I love that drawing! I could sure use on on my shop wall!
                      Bob

chaplin37
                      Participant

The problem has been solved I tried the spare waltham traveler barrel that i had from the waltham I was using for parts and everything is working now. I just have one more question and its on timing washers. I appears my watch is running a tad bit fast now and i already have it adjusted to the “S” on the balance cock and it still is running fast, so I have to buy some timing washers. Now I have never bought these before so I was wondering if someone could walk me through what I should be looking for etc etc. Any information would be great. Thanks :D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.