Home Forums General Discussion Forum The Watch and Clock repair Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lavalani44
    Participant

I am new to the forum . I look forward to reading and hopefully contributing to this community of Time Travelers. Just a note I live in Santa Cruz. CA and I can tell you that trying to find someone in this area to work on a timepiece of any kind is nearly impossible. The last two watch people died or retired leaving a void that no one has tried to fill. Seems like young people are into the throw it away and get a new one syndrome. I buy and sell all kinds of collectibles and across the board that seems to be the way its going . No appreciation for the past and history.

arutha
      Participant

Hi,
        Same situation in the UK although there are people learning watch repair but try and find a clockmaker!

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Same problem here. I don’t have a clockmaker within 250 miles radius of here. Tried to get a couple of young men involved but one lasted 2 days and the other 4 days. There is no interest in antiques and collectables at all. I got out of watch repair because of my eyes but when I was fixing them 90% of what I did were old pocket watches that grandpa had and a few womens watches that grandma had. Newer watches most of the time you give them a estimate and I got the excuse I can buy a new one at walmart for half your repair cost. So they toss them and buy new. I have about 70 clocks I have bought at garage sales and auctions over the last 30 some years and can’t hardly give them away. For example I bought a kitchen clock at a auction they couldn’t even get a $10 bid on. I gave $5 for it, repaired the movement and case. Looked great when I was done. I started at $225 and it has sat for a couple of years so reduced the price several times which it is now $125 and still not sold. Clocks here have taken a nose dive as far as sales go but the repair business is still pretty strong especially among the older generation who still value these old relics from yesteryear.

arutha
          Participant

Exactly the same here Bernie, my repair backlog just keeps getting bigger and bigger but all the clocks I have restored just sit on the shelves gathering dust.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.