Home Forums General Discussion Forum The ulimate in frustration….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stevefitzwater
    Participant

I picked up a 1927 Waltham Ruby 6/0 movement awhile ago, I have a nice gold WW case that I have been restoring, new sleeve, new crystal, new stem, new gold crown. This movement came in nasty and rusted, I have been cleaning and polishing the movement, I replaced a lower main wheel jewel, new mainspring and hairspring, I had just got everything dialed in, and it was running strong, and I was cleaning the top of the barrel bridge with some Rodico before placing it in the case, when I lowered my hand and some how caught the edge of the balance with my one of my knuckles, breaking the balance staff upper pivot, and cracking the jewel in the balance cock.. 😈 I know, as Chris calls it Neanderthal man..

I was flabbergasted… stunned.. and just slightly upset.. this is going into my collection, I have been polishing the case to a mirror shine.. now it all goes back into a box until I get a balance staff and jewel for it.. >sigh<

This entire repair was a test of patience, I had spent many hours on the floor looking for that spring for the keyless works, then the black hole I call my floor stole a balance jewel screw, along with the mainspring retainer was too big to just press the mainspring into the barrel, and the watch mainspring winder did not have to right size barrel for it.. argh.. LOL… it builds character right?

tmac1956
      Participant

Steve:

I know I’ve done that before myself. Sometimes, that’s what it takes to learn the lesson. You are not alone.

Later,
        Tom

bernie weishapl
        Participant

One thing I learned and it was a hard lesson just like yours a long time ago is I do not polish/clean a watch when it is together and running. It is just asking for trouble IMHO. I do all the polishing, cleaning, etc before assembly and then wear either tight fitting rubber surgeons gloves or finger cots. There are just to many thing that can go wrong. 😆 I know it isn’t funny but I always say lesson learned.

david pierce
          Participant

OUCH! :(

stevefitzwater
            Participant

Sorry, if I was not clear, but I had polished it before assembling it, I was just trying to show how careful and to what length I went all the way through the restoration process only to let my guard down and break the prized egg I was being soo careful not to scratch the whole time. The reason for the Rodico was I noticed a mark from my glove on the barrel bridge, so I thought I would clean it before casing it.

the lesson learned is until that movement is safely in its case, these watches are very fragile, I can not let my guard down until that case clicks shut.. LOL

tmac1956
              Participant

Steve:

There’s nothing more frustrating than the sound of a balance staff pivot snapping because one accidentally get’s one’s big ol’ fingers onto the side of the balance wheel without realizing it. It makes my sphincter grab at the cushion of my seat. ;)

Later,
                Tom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.