Home Forums General Discussion Forum The Bug has bitten and I’m Feelin’ Groovy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    namonllor1953
    Participant

Oh yeah,
      I finally took my first pocket watch apart and put it back together.
      Took plenty of photos for reference and worked slow. I’ve got to admit, there was a moment there where I had to sit back, take a breath and chill out. I’m glad I did instead of trying to forge ahead no matter what (that’s usually what I do, and sure enough, I screw things up).
      I dis-assembled it again because, it definately needs to be cleaned and I need to purchase an Ultrasonic cleaner w/baskets. I’m hoping to get the Large Harbor Freight US Cleaner this weekend and I should be good to go. At any rate, it’s a great feeling to have diassembled and reassembled my first PW.
      Be well and may you all have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

willofiam

Hey Ren, thanks for putting this up, reminds me of when I had taken my first apart. It was late at night, all excited and nervous, being super careful. I remember wanting to disassemble/ reassemble several times that night just so my tiny brain would soak it in and I wouldnt forget, went through it twice and like you said @namonllor1953 wrote:

there was a moment there where I had to sit back, take a breath and chill out

….Its like diving into another world 😯
        I still get that kind of feeling and thoroughly enjoy “getting in the mood” , relaxing and diving into a watch. I work mostly on clocks but do get quite a few pocket watches in also. To me the mood is different and a rather nice change up though I feel one compliments the other.
        Ren, great job!!!! God bless, have fun and dont let the bed bugs bite 😆 William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Ren good for you. The more you do the easier it will get. I still remember my first one. Like you I think I took it apart and back together again 4 times before I actually cleaned, oiled and repaired it. 😆 Well done.

maitai11
          Participant

I quite like to think of being engrossed in a pocket watch as being in my own little perfect bubble. I put some good smooth jazz on (TV shows distract the heck out of me…) get a bit of a breeze from a fan going, and then have my favorite beverage ready and within reach. You’re right Ren, it is a special thing to do your first. I’ll never forget that when I installed the balance cock and balance, before I even fully located the pins into the mainplate, that it just started the watch up – and it was positively magic to experience it that way. I was hooked :)

Best,

Tim :)

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Jazz!!! How about some ZZ Top or Steve Miller Band or Santana? Now there is some good watch repairing music. 😆 :D

tukat44
              Participant

Chris?? Are you out there? Don’t leave me hanging for a “First Watch Jam” favorite…..

tukat

Bob Tascione

Great job Ren!

chris mabbott
                  Participant

This was my first strip down tune 😆

TIME

stevefitzwater
                    Participant

Why not this tune- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-OytmtYoOI

Perhaps I am showing my age with this one…

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

That will work for me. LOL

namonllor1953
                        Participant
                          maitai11
                          Participant

OK Bernie, I saw that little remark :)

Being a jazz snob is actually quite fun! You should try it sometime :) I can send you some links to get you started if you want!

I just can’t see myself listening to “Gimme all your lovin’, “Black Magic Woman”, or “Jungle Love” HAHAHA, but hey, what ever floats your boat Bernie :)

Not that I don’t like that kind of music, except maybe for ZZ Top. A little too campy for me, I guess :) But I do love the Rock and Roll greats, as well as some great Classic Rock.

Rock On!

Tim :)

maitai11
                            Participant

Culture Club also had one called “Time” :) 80’s retro!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tI1_KlO6xI

:)

arutha
                              Participant

Now I love the 80’s but I always find a nice mixture from Motown to Grunge to 80’s to Django Reinhardt keeps it interesting for me :)
                                Paul.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.