Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks Testing Your Ultrasonic Cleaner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

I have seen a test done on the internet that looks quite good.

Fill your cleaner with just water, you then arrange three pieces of aluminium foil in the cleaner, one at each end and one in the middle. Let the cleaner run for three minutes. when it has finished you should see the foil has small holes in it, maybe even big holes but from what I have been reading the cleaner is most effective in the middle of the tank. If you withdraw the foil and it looks the same as it did when it went in this is probably a sign its not working. Dont be suprised also to find the foil pieces you place at the ends are not as affected as the centre one, this seems to be standard.

steve fornelius
      Participant

Plain water works, but you also have to let it run for at least an hour to degas the water. I tried it with my cleaning solution in and there was no change to the aluminum. Also, don’t put in the cleaning basket or anything else because this disturbs the occillations. Best to run the tank hot too.

arutha
        Participant

I have tried this test on both my ultrasonic tanks and both of my friends tank and after two minutes the aluminium foil had easily visible holes in it.
          Paul.

steve fornelius
          Participant

With plain water and no parts basket in it? My tank will make the holes very quickly with plain water, but when I put in my Heritage Clock Cleaner, it changes the viscosity and the aluminum doesn’t get holes.

arutha
            Participant

My first cleaner was a cheapy small ultrasonic, it had a plastic parts basket and I tested it when I first got it with water – got the holes after a couple of minutes, I then tried again with ammoniated soft soap solution and again got holes after a couple of minutes. My big tank I tested only with my cleaning solution and got holes after a couple of minutes, I dont use a basket with this but a large plastic tub with lots of small holes drilled in it. My friends ultrasonic tanks were both tested, he uses the same solution, and with the baskets (metal) in and again the holes appeared after 2 minutes.
              Paul.

jc747400
              Participant

Hi Guys, Here in AUS its really hard to get ultrasonic cleaner and you end up getting it on ebay from overseas at great cost. I have read things such as vinegar solutions as a alternate, however though I would see what else anyone may know that works well? With my current powder cleaner I am getting orange tinge to the brass (similar tinge as Trump) – sorry could not resist 😆 !

Any ideas or advise appreciated.

Krgds/Jules

willofiam

Hey Jules, I had just noticed your post here, It is always worth experimenting with different methods BUT I would suggest using a “test” movement….Remember that you will be dealing not only with brass but steel, nickle plating ect….in different movements. I cannot remember exactly what I was using (I have experimented with many things) I had brass turn different colors, steel turn black, and a variety of other potential problems and time consuming issues from different solutions. It is possible these issues could be some reactions with using a ultrasonic compared to hand cleaning????

jc747400
                  Participant

Hi William

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in my response! Yes I have had happen exactly what you say…brass going orange and ends out coming out worse. Do you think temperature has a lot to do with it perhaps?.. Now I am at the stage of being reluctant to use it and hand clean everything! Its like everything tho, being relatively new to this I am finding out from my mistakes and learning as I go. There are no courses to teach this sort of skill/profession in Australia.
                    Many thanks for the tips and advise. Cheers/Jules

willofiam

Hey Jules, yes it is possible temperature, ultrasonic waves, solution chemicals, ect…causing different types of reactions. Have you tried to find the different components to make your cleaning solution? I think Bob has the formula in one of his videos. To save money when I had first started I was making my own solution, it worked pretty good BUT I was careful to use the exact components that others have used and proven to work. After messing with that for awhile it became evident that buying concentrated clock cleaning solution was the best for me, I have recently switched from timekeepers (low odor) to L&R (very potent odor) clock cleaning solution, though with the higher odor I invested into a simple exhaust fan that blow it outside and clears the air in the shop (for the most part) could always use a separate room for cleaning….o.k. now I am getting off track….I guess what I am saying is you may save time and money in the long run by getting something that has been proven to work, less worry about potential damage and discoloration ect…..remember I am coming from a business perspective and am dealing with a customers clock.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.