Home Forums General Discussion Forum Tap and Die…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I’ve need to buy and tap & die set, so I could use some recommendations. I’d like to buy a set that will work for both watch and clock repair – that can be used in a drill press, mill/drill, or a lathe. Perhaps both english and metric.

All thoughts are appreciated!
      tmac

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        The only tap and die set I ever purchased was a small set for watches. The set came with a threading plate and a bunch of tiny metric taps. The reason I have not bought these items in sets is I did not like the quality of the taps and dies that are sold this way. I buy my taps as needed from industrial supply houses and use brands like GREENFIELD, OSG and CLEVELAND. Over the past 30 or so years I have probably accumulated at least 500 taps and dies. If you have ever had a cheaply made tap snap off in a hole you will understand my reasoning for this.
        david

tmac1956
        Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tom,
          The only tap and die set I ever purchased was a small set for watches. The set came with a threading plate and a bunch of tiny metric taps. The reason I have not bought these items in sets is I did not like the quality of the taps and dies that are sold this way. I buy my taps as needed from industrial supply houses and use brands like GREENFIELD, OSG and CLEVELAND. Over the past 30 or so years I have probably accumulated at least 500 taps and dies. If you have ever had a cheaply made tap snap off in a hole you will understand my reasoning for this.
          david

David:

That’s the kind of advise I need. Anything to save money, time and hassle. :)

Thanks!
          tmac

arutha
          Participant

I agree completely with David on this, only buy good quality taps as you need them, those sets are cheap for a reason. If you do ever snap a tap in brass you can leave it in real lemon juice, the citric acid will eat away the steel tap and leave the brass untouched. Snapping a tap off in steel is a nightmare! 😯

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.