Home Forums General Discussion Forum Taking apart a Koma Midget case

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    myclockrepair
    Participant

I have a Koma Midget 400 day clock and I cant figure out how to get the case apart. If you google Koma Midget you can see exactly what it looks like. It doesn’t have a lift off case, its a case with a top and bottom plate with 4 pillars and a door on the back. The bottom feet are adjustable and I’ve taken those off but I cant see an obvious way to get it apart. I have searched the web from beginning to end (seems like) and cant find anything. Any help?

Bob Tascione

Good to see you up here myclockrepair,

You should be able to unscrew the 4 knobs on top of your clock and lift off the top. You can then slide the glass up out of the grooves in the 4 case pillers. If the pillers are loose at the bottom the glass and door may fall out so take care to secure things before removing the knobs (nuts).

Hope this helps myclockrepair,

Enjoy!
        Bob

myclockrepair
        Participant

Thanks Bob, I’ve tried everything but putting a pipe wrench on it. I’ll keep trying, they’ve probably been on 50 years I guess they want to stay.

pkamargo
          Participant

If the knobs are too much hard to unscrew you may want to use a vise to hold firmly and unscrew. But to prevent damage, use some cloth around the knob.
            The pillars are screwed both top and down plates. Should not be that hard to disassemble.

myclockrepair
            Participant

I finally got it! Using long needle nose pliers and a State Farm rubber jar opener. Thanks to everybody for the tips.

myclockrepair
              Participant

ANOTHER QUESTION: This piece is fairly tarnished but in good condition. When I polish the brass is it common, or recommended, to spray on varnish to protect the shine? If not, how long will it stay shiny? I’ve only worked on cuckoo and mantle clocks so my experience with large amounts of external brass is limited.

pkamargo
                Participant

Yes it is absolutely necessary to apply some lacquer on recently polished and cleaned brass if you want it to stay shiny.

Alternatively, at Meadows & Passmore there is a kind of wax they advert that replaces lacquer on polished brass – I didn’t try it yet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.