Home Forums General Discussion Forum Taig Lathe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

You got that right Chris. That’s why I jumped at the offer of free shipping. I had bid on one Taig on ebay and glad I was outbid. I found out after I messaged him he wanted $60 for shipping and $25 to build a box out of scrap plywood. $85 shipping. Wow. I do love those that have a handling charge. Amazes me. I have finally learned to have patience working on clocks and in the early days on watches. So I have gotten better over the years waiting. 😆

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Just got a UPS notice the lathe is out for delivery. Bummer is UPS generally delivers here about 4 pm in the afternoon. :D

bobpat
        Participant

I almost bought that adept,something told me it was the wrong deal, good thing I came here .. so glad I didn’t buy it :D Bernie, you are right, the used ones are way over priced for rusted pieces of equipment, and you really don’t know what you are buying, anyways, I bought a new Sherline, will be here Thursday. :D

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Good for you Bobpat. You will have to post pic’s when it comes in. I have already got mine dirty by repivoting a arbor that was badly worn. If I filed it down to smooth it would have been about as thick as a straight pin.

willofiam

for anyone interested I brought up this thread because there is a taig for sale with goodies on the Minneapolis craigslist under lathes. William

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Boy William for anyone wanting a lathe that is a great deal. $280 plus all the misc. that I could see with it.

daryn
                Participant

I’ve an old cowells 90 me for small clock stuff, I guess you guys don’t have them on your side of the pond ?
                  David, this cowells machine runs in the headstock plain , no ball or roller bearings , no cone bearings , it is however very very accurate and precise, it’s a lot more work making them this way and honing the bearing surfaces properly which is why not many are made this way anymore, it also would probably mean a new spindle if wear became an issue, however if made properly that’s not going happen for a long long time !
                  Daryn

daryn
                  Participant

That said most clock work is done on a an emco v10p , this is ten inch machine with a geared head , some might consider it large for clock stuff , but the extra mass makes upfor a lot , very accurate, unlike smaller machines that flex a bit whatever you dial in is what’s taken off the work , it also has a capable mill drill head bolted on the back of the bed which makes it very versatile
                    Daryn

Bob Tascione

Those are both VERY nice, high quality lathes Daryn!
                      The Cowell isn’t real well known over here but you do occasionally see them around. Would love to own one!
                      Bob

daryn
                      Participant

Yep the cowells are a proper engine lathe scaled down, it has a proper backgear arrangement and screwcutting by change gears , very versatile for such a small machine, all cast iron a steel construction,they also do a watchmakers version that takes 8mm collets

willofiam

Daryn, when does the Cowells you got me for Christmas get here, did it have the milling attachment also? :D just kidding, I think Paul was going to buy me one, it does seem like a rather nice setup. maybe someday? I think the lathe, mill and a bunch of goodies would cost around $7000, thats a drop in the bucket for Paul ;) William

daryn
                          Participant

They’re not cheap or inexpensive!
                            I feel you do get what you pay for sometimes ,
                            I think in all honesty that a lot of its down to the operater, if you look at some of the early clocks and at the equipment they were made with !
                            A good example is the amount of backlash in the feedscrews on an older lathe, if the Turner knows their machine a half turn won’t stop them producing wonderful work , but a poor workman will complain all day long about it preventing them from first class work . . .

daryn
                            Participant

My personal approach has been to buy the best second hand equipment I could afford, probably not the best approach for a novice as at first glance the good and the bad can look very similar !

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.