Home Forums General Discussion Forum Taig 3 Jaw Chuck

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Good morning all. Had a chance today to go out and thought I would get my 3 jaw chuck trued up. Before I did anything I just wanted to see how bad it was. I may be out in left field as I am by no means a machinist. I put a known point in the chuck and brought up the tailstock. Low and behold up and down, left and right as far as I can see using loupes it is dead on center. I am posting a pic’s with a center drill in the chuck with the tailstock brought up and it is tip to tip. So I thought ok and put a round piece of HSS in that I use for measuring. It measures dead on from one end to the other. I used a dial indicator to see if there was any deflection and much to my surprise it was negligible. So I don’t think I am going to mess with truing the chuck at all. The jaws are clean and crisp. So am I missing something here or overlooking something or did I get lucky. When I did the pivot on Friday it was dead center when drilled. Didn’t get a chance to play yesterday as we traveled down to be with our grandson for the day. Thanks for any insight.

tmac1956
      Participant

Wow! That thing is tight and right on the money.

That’s a very nice machine.
        Thanks!
        Tom

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Your welcome. I sat out there this morning over a hour trying to find something wrong. All I can say is I was lucky on this one. :D

david pierce
          Participant

Bernie,
            Actually what happened was you bought a good machine. That is what good machines do; they work properly. When I bought mine and took it out of the box I thought “that’s the uglyist lathe I ever saw in my life”. After running it I thought “wow, it sure works nice”. I also appreciated the fact that when I ran it, it didn’t sound like a kitchen blender, just a nice quiet hummmmmm.
            david

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Thanks David. I was pleasantly surprised and happy. I didn’t check it before I pivoted that wheel Friday but it drilled perfectly centered and it runs smoothly also. Happy, happy, happy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.