Home Forums General Discussion Forum T1 gear sliding on arbor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jpewslgl
    Participant

I am cleaning a Waltham Regulator wall clock with a 31 day chime.

The gear for the 2nd mainspring is loose so the arbor can be turned to wind the spring, as it should be. However, it is also sliding up the arbor just enough to allow the click to slide underneath the winding gear. The winding gear is fixed to the arbor, so it can’t move.

How can I adjust the fit of the gear so that it still is free enough to turn so the spring can be wound, but not free to slide up the arbor? There is a plate that fits on the top of the gear, but it doesn’t stay down. Perhaps I need to ‘ping’ this plate so it is tight on the arbor?

Obviously, a click that slips isn’t very helpful!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
      Jimmy

I’ve attached a picture of the click sliding under the gear. The click spring was removed by me.

willofiam

Hi Jimmy, I haven’t worked on your particular clock but the concept should be the same, how does the other one look and is it working properly????? yes they should be fairly snug yet like you said able to wind. Does your click have a flat face???? or has it worn a bevel on it??? if so then you should address this also.. could be the culprit for this situation. sooooo tighten it up somehow, maybe Bob would have the proper way for actually doing this, I kind of have my own process but I have read that if you have a punch large enough you can tighten the collet back onto the arbor, something a little bigger than the arbor yet leaving enough material in between to get a good swedge, which leaves the possibility of getting it too tight, you can loosen it with a light tap from the other side, there is only one other thing, whether you have a large washer that fits over the brass collet on the great wheel gear. if you do let us know, would be a little different.. William

jpewslgl
        Participant

Thanks for the reply!

I’m posting a picture of the other side of the gear. There is a large washer that appears to hold the great gear snug to the winding gear so the click is always in contact. The click itself appears to be flat and doesn’t appear to be worn, it’s only sliding between the gears due to the great gear sliding away from the winding gear.

I would assume that I need to make the arbor where the washer fits, alittle larger so it has a snug fit to keep it (and the great gear) in place, snug against the winding gear. I’m not sure of the proper way to do this.

Jimmy

willofiam

Hi Jimmy, lay the assembly on a large bench block and try to get your friction type washer over the brass “collet”, use a 1/8 inch or so flat faced punch and let 1/2 the face overhang the shoulder of the “collet” edge, punch hard enough to keep the “friction washer” in place in four equally spaced spots. dont have to hit it too hard and make sure the “friction washer” stays below the surface. All you need to accomplish is to hold it on and put some pressure against the great wheel. Also looks like your “friction washer” is cupped inward, hard to tell from your picture, try and flatten that out if you can get it off…this will help…. Hope this work for you, have a great day ;) and let us know how it goes, William

jpewslgl
            Participant

The friction washer is cupped, it appears to be that way by design, as the wire click spring goes under it and is protected from the mainspring.

Thanks for the help, I’ll let you know how it goes!!

Jimmy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.