Home Forums General Discussion Forum Swiss PW MC Jacot Geneve

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

I was able to open up the back, as you can see from the pictures, but I couldn’t figure out how to open the front cover. I tried pushing down on the crown, but it doesn’t move. Can anyone tell me where I can get information about this PW? I would like to restore it. The watch can be wound, but it doesn’t run. I suspect something wrong with the hair spring or balance pivot, but I need to remove the movement which I’m sure has to come out the front. Appreciate any suggestions. I have never worked on one of these before. I don’t even know where I would get the parts for it.

randy
      Participant

Hank,
        Maybe I’m not seeing it correctly..but does there appear to be a hinged side to the front bezel ? If not, ( and I don’t see one ), maybe the front screws off.
        Would be weird as it has a back that swings open..but just a thought.

The other possibility is that the hinge is jammed. I see that there’s a pretty good dent in the rim of the case, as though it was dropped. Could be that the concussion pinched the release pawl to the rim, keeping the front cover from opening ?

Not sure where to find parts..there are many varieties of the Jacot movements in the 1800’s.

Best of luck buddy

Randy

hank7421
        Participant

High Randy, it’s good to hear from you again. It’s hard to see in the picture, but the front cover is hinged. Any ideas how to un-jam the release mechanism? I was thinking of spraying the Pendant with WD40 to see if it might work it’s way in to lubricate the stem to get it to go up and down. Is there a way to force the cover open? I’m open to any suggestions.

randy
          Participant

Hank..I’m out of ideas buddy…..you can try the WD-40..but it can be hard to remove all of it from the mechanism afterwards. So I would just use a small amount from the edge of an oiler you have. Spray it into a paper cup and then dip the oiler in, then to the watch case at the point you think that latch is located.

Randy

bearcwy
            Participant

Is it possible to get a thin blade, like a no. 11 exacto between the front cover and the ring of the watch to get it open then you could repair the watch and the closing mech. you could dull the blade on a stone before trying.

hank7421
              Participant

I took the watch to a Jeweler and watch repair store that I know the watchmaker and he helps me out with wrist watches when I’m stuck on something. He took the case to his bench and opened it in about 2 min. He brought the opened watch back to the counter and showed me where the stem release screw is, see picture, but I still don’t know how he got the front case to open. Anyway, I took the watch apart and cleaned it and as I started to put the components back I noticed a few things. For one, I could not find the pallet fork. I also found a strange mark on the plate. It looks like an apple with an arrow going through it. Perhaps it may help identify the watch. Maybe someone has seen that mark before.

hank7421
                Participant

Here is a better picture of the marking.

Bob Tascione

Hi Hank,
                    I’m not familiar with that insignia but maybe someone up here might have some info on it.
                    The watch uses a cylinder escapement which doesn’t have a lever linking between the escape wheel and staff roller. The escape wheel makes direct contact with the staff imparting impulse when entering and exiting the hollow balance staff. Some research on google will bring up some in-depth info on how the escapement works and possibly some repair techniques. They are different than the lever escapement and can be tricky for someone not familiar with them especially if the escapement is in need of adjustment or repair.
                    Here’s a video that I link to from my site LearnTimeOnline that might give you an idea of how it works: https://learntimeonline.com/best-watch-repair-videos/cylinder-escapement/

Take care,
                    Bob

randy
                    Participant

Hank, Bob,
                      I did some “light research” LOL..and found that Hank’s watch is possibly a Fontainemelon 1 ( FHF )

” In 1891 FHF registered a trademark of an arrow through an apple, a reference to William Tell, the folk hero whose defiance of the established order led to a rebellion and the formation of the Swiss Confederation, and this trademark can be seen on the bottom plate when the barrel bridge is removed. You can see the apple with an arrow through it in the bottom right corner of the picture, I have indicated the barrel bridge screw which fits in the screw hole shown in the cut out. “

The link to the page this is on is here,..the watch is about 2/3rds down the page
                      http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/movements.php

Cheers !

RNB

hank7421
                      Participant

Thanks Bob for pointing that out. I didn’t look close enough at the pivots when I removed the Balance Cock. I appreciate your research Randy. I looked at your reference page and due to the differences in the balance wheel I believe it is Fontainemelon 2. I have cleaned it and am oiling it as I begin putting it back together. I noticed that the hands may not be original. At least the minute hand, as it is too long. I would love to know how I can get the proper hands for this timepiece. Also, how old it is. Thanks to both of you for your invaluable help. I’ll let you know if it works when I get it back together.

randy
                        Participant

You’re very welcome Hank !

Bob Tascione

Glad it helped Hank!
                            Hey Randy you nailed it on the ID. Good find! That Vintagewatchstraps site sure has some great info.
                            I think I remember you bringing that site up sometime in the past but I forgot to bookmark it. Got it now for sure.
                            Thanks Randy and good luck with that watch Hank.
                            Please let us know how things turn out.
                            Bob

hank7421
                            Participant

Hello Bob and Randy,
                              Upon closer inspection I realized that the Balance wheel had a broken pivot and the hairspring is not the greatest. Any suggestions as to where I could find a complete balance wheel for this Fontainemelon movement?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.