Home Forums General Discussion Forum suspension sping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cdragon
    Participant

Can anyone tell me the approx length of the suspension spring for an 8-day Seth Thomas mantel clock…? Also maybe the best way to bend them without twisting it. Peace

arutha
      Participant

I dont know the length, can you not see marks on the pendulum rod where it has made contact with the crutch? If not I am affraid you will have to wait for someone with more experience with these clocks. If not start a bit longer than you would think it needed and then just shorten it a small amount until you get the time keeping correct. Why do you need to bend it?
        Paul.

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum Cdragon!
          Hey Paul I think cdragon might be asking about bending the suspension spring rod and not the spring. The spring is also part of the hanger on many of these American clocks.
          I bend the hook using a couple of fine needle nosed pliers. The shape is important though. If you download the clock trouble shooting guide from the download section of the course (bottom of download page) you’ll find a pic in there of what the hook should look like. As far as keeping it straight it’s pretty easy to twist the rod a little with the two pliers if it’s a bit off center.
          As far as the length there may be a number on the plate giving the length of the suspension rod from the point where the spring rests in the block to the bottom of the loop. If not try 4 3/4 inches total length as this is pretty common.

Good luck and again welcome!!
          Bob

cdragon
          Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Welcome to the forum Cdragon!
            Hey Paul I think cdragon might be asking about bending the suspension spring rod and not the spring. The spring is also part of the hanger on many of these American clocks.
            I bend the hook using a couple of fine needle nosed pliers. The shape is important though. If you download the clock trouble shooting guide from the download section of the course (bottom of download page) you’ll find a pic in there of what the hook should look like. As far as keeping it straight it’s pretty easy to twist the rod a little with the two pliers if it’s a bit off center.
            As far as the length there may be a number on the plate giving the length of the suspension rod from the point where the spring rests in the block to the bottom of the loop. If not try 4 3/4 inches total length as this is pretty common.

Good luck and again welcome!!
            Bob

Thank you…I was talking about the rod…..the trouble shooting guide was a huge help……GREAT videos so far…

Bob Tascione

That’s good to hear Cdragon!
              I think you may have sent up a red flag for Paul in the U.K. and others in Europe when you mentioned ‘bending’ in your first post. Most of the clocks they see over there use solid crutches, hangers and rods that shouldn’t need any kind of bending. Adjustments are generally made through some type of clutching mechanism and hooks to hang a bob from don’t need to be bent into the rod… unlike most production American clocks that are more or less pliable and where the spring and wire rod are one unit. :D

Enjoy!
              Bob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.