Home Forums General Discussion Forum Stuck screw…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    randy
    Participant

Here’s what a set of jewels can look like.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/161046404239?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This may be really affordable from the auction. Buying them from parts houses it’s reaaaaaaaallly expensive .
      Maybe you can get lucky on this one !

I have a K&D set with the jeweling attachment.
      Mike the watch Guy sells a full reprint of the original book called “The Watchmakers Staking tool”. You can find it on Ebay as well,..
      think that I paid about $40 for it…and it’s worth every penny. Lots of coverage on jeweling, reaming, etc. It’s about 90 pages,..good in depth information.

Good luck…and Howdy Bob ! If yer reading this !

Randy

tmac1956
      Participant

Randy:

What material houses are you speaking about that carry these jewel sets? I guess I’m just looking in the wrong place.

Thanks for the eBay link. I’ll be interested to see how high it goes…

Thanks!
        Tom

randy
        Participant

I think the last time I saw sets of these they were from either CAS-KER or Otto Frei

tmac1956
          Participant

Randy:

I found them at ofrie.com. You’re right… these sets are EXPENSIVE~

http://www.ofrei.com/page454.html#5344

Thanks!
            Tom

randy
            Participant

Yea,.and the auction that I shared drew over $250.0…which was a bargain in the long run !

We need to find some offline auctions Tom,..where old watch makers estates are being sold off !!!

Best

Randy

tmac1956
              Participant

Randy:

I think we are competing with large sellers who can envision buying at that level in order to make big profits selling back to people like us at $20 a pop. If that’s what is going on then, yes – that individual got a real deal. I’m not complaining about the free market (we’ll its more like whinning I guess), its just that people like me cannot afford to compete at that level. I guess as long as I can get a jewel when I need it, that’s ok too.

Thanks!

Tom

randy
                Participant

I feel the same way…same with crystals.
                  I’d love to spend 3,4, or 500 bucks to buy 3-4 stacks of watch crystal cabinets…or anything else like that.

Once in awhile I scrape up enough to spend a couple hundred,..but it’s rare.

Well,..take care, and hope you have a great weekend !

Best,

Randy

brassy
                  Participant

Alum, at the grocery store, stainless steel pot, enough water to cover, add a small amount of Alum, boil and watch the screw go away !!! Alum is used in pickles….. It works and will only eat the steel !!! Brassy

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.