Home Forums General Discussion Forum Stuck Lathe Collet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

I bought a collet for my lathe that was suppose to fit it and now it is stuck. Would someone be able to suggest how to remove it?

arutha
      Participant

Get plenty of oil around the collet and then you want a long piece of wood dowel, put it throug the headstock from the drawbar end, up against the collet and tap with increasing strength until it comes out. You dont want the dowel going through the collet i.e. pushing against the back of its face as you will damage the collet. Dont get the dowel wedged in the headstock, if it feels tight then get some of a smaller diameter. If this doesnt work then you may have to replace the wood dowel with steel rod but you will almost certainly damage the collet. Good luck.
        Paul.

chaplin37
        Participant

This will also work if it is screwed in? I was able to screw it in and now it wont unscrew

tmac1956
          Participant

Chaplin:

PC Blaster or Kroil penetrating oils might free it up. I had a faceplate with a similar problem and it turned out the the slot in the arbor was a little tight on the pin in the head stock. When I tightened it I guess the threads bound a little. The PC Blaster worked but I had to apply it several times and let it sit for a few days.

Just an idea…
            Tom

arutha
            Participant

Just to be clear, you have put the collet in the headstock, screwed in the drawbar and now if you try to unscrew the drawbar the collet just turns?
              Paul.

chaplin37
              Participant

Thanks tom i will try that. I can remove the draw bar but i cant unscrew this collet like i could with the others it just locked in place

arutha
                Participant

Unscrew the collet from what?
                  Sorry if I am being a bit dumb its just that the lathes I use just have slide in collets and then the draw bar pulls them in to tighten them, I dont understand what you mean by screw the collet in, what lathe do you have?

chaplin37
                  Participant

I have a peerless

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Peerless lathes, as far as I am aware, all have the same collet style that Paul has explained. I’m also a little confused as to why you would have to unscrew the collet when the draw bar has been removed :?:

When you first entered the collet into the head stock, did you slide it in all the way with the groove in the correct mating position, then slide in the draw bar and turn it clock wise until it was tight, turn the draw bar, NOT the collet :?:

chaplin37
                      Participant

Nope your not being dumb i am. Thought it more and used the dowel trick and it worked. When i would slide it in without the draw bar and it felt like i was screwing it in. Thanks for all the help guys

arutha
                        Participant

The little key that is supposed to stop the collet from turning is missing in your lathe, not uncommon when people use different makes of collet, I have the same issue with mine. Glad you got it sorted :)
                          Paul.

david pierce
                          Participant

Chaplin37,
                            I have three Peerless lathes that will not take the standard Starrett collets. The spindle hole is smaller on my machines. If a collet cannot be inserted into the spindle with a light push of the finger then it was not meant to go into that particular spindle bore. You have a few options to end up with a working tool but the best option is to secure some Peerless collets. Peerless lathes are truly beautiful machines and it would be well worth it to check around and see if anybody has some for sale. Try Uncle larry’s Watch Shop and see if he can find some for you.
                            david

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.