Home Forums General Discussion Forum Stem Winding Mystery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hi Fellas,

Been sidelined a couple weeks while I grind my way through getting my 2013 taxes done and over with. I have the extension – it’s just the time it takes – and here I am staring the 2014 tax season down the barrel. Bad move! I definitely would NOT recommend it, haha.

So, with my Illinois 11 jewel pocket watch, I’ve noticed that when winding (I carry and wind it daily,) the stem slips and gives way when it should really be engaging. I was thinking that it was a problem with the arbor tang, but then after thinking about it some, and how the spring compresses around it when it gets wound, I decided that that would probably not be the problem in the end – although, I definitely could be wrong. Just trying to have a little run at critically thinking my way through this problem, with what limited knowledge I have.

So I was thinking it would more than likely be a problem with the click. I can tell you that, as I wind it clockwise, it does slip briefly and then re-engage. Then, as I naturally let the stem go, it freewheels in a counterclockwise motion – but my understanding is that it would do that anyway. Is this correct? Otherwise, I’m thinking that, perhaps, I have installed the click spring incorrectly, or something like that…Not sure a picture would help in this case, but let me know if you really want one, and I’ll do my best.

Here’s hoping that everyone has had a great first month (already more than HALF OVER!!) in the year 2015 – I know it’s a good one for me – I get paid THREE TIMES this month!!! Gotta love the 26 pay period cycle :)

All the best, Guys,

Tim :)

namonllor1953
      Participant

Hey Tim,
        I’m not sure of this but, I am having sort of the same situation on one of the Elgins. It winds but after pushing the crown back down, it seems like it takes the slightest pressure to make the crown Pop back up into the set mode.
        I recall on the first video Bob mentions something about the sleeve adjustment. Could it be that simple?
        I’m sure someone will chime in soon.
        Be well,

willofiam

@namonllor1953 wrote:

I recall on the first video Bob mentions something about the sleeve adjustment. Could it be that simple?

Ren, it could very well be….Thats what it sounds like…..William

namonllor1953
          Participant

Thanks William,
            I just got a sleeve wrench (couldn’t make one, dang it) so, I should be able to take care of this with little to no problems.
            Thanks again!!

randy
            Participant

I agree with the others Tim ( for what it’s worth )…Sounds like the stem isn’t “deep” enough to engage correctly.
              You’ll need to test that out by getting a sleeve wrench and making some adjustments.
              No uncommon to have this happen,…especially if the movement was put into another case somewhere along the way.

Best

Randy

chris mabbott
              Participant

Just to add my two bits to hopefully compliment what William & Randy have correctly suggested….

If I’m reading you correctly, when you wind the watch, the winding knob slips? If so, You could also check the return action with the back cover removed, there should be, although I’m not 100% about your model, a return spring/spring lever, that assists the switching action, to make sure that it returns from hand set, to fully contact the wind gears, when the stem is activated.

You can also check to make sure the stem has no rough spots that may interfere with smooth operation.
                It could also be due to worn gears on the stem winding mech..

If you’ve used grease on the stem, where the winding/set gears slide, too much or the wrong viscosity could inhibit smooth movement also..

Hope this helps ya although I’m a bit afraid to assist tax dodgers 😆

namonllor1953
                Participant

Well, I can say “Thanks Bob, for that great video”, it was dead on. I adjusted the sleeve by 1/2 turn into the case and it now works beautifully.
                  May all repairs go this smoothly.

maitai11
                  Participant

Right, Fella’s,

Thanks, one and all – Uncle Larry sold me a sleeve wrench (I think he suggested it,) and now it appears I’ll be getting some practice in repairing my very own “beater,” haha. I appreciate all the great info and help.

I know, I know, Chris, the tax thing. Well, that year is done now, and I’ll just have to get it in gear to do 2014 now – I mean, hey, it’s already halfway done, after digging all my 2013 stuff up. Should be duck soup ;) Dodging is one thing – tax protesting is another. I once knew a guy who belonged to a loosely held together group, and what I remember is, to be one of them, you could not be faint of heart. They can “be right” all they want, but in the end, it’s who has the biggest court, handcuffs, and bank account for lawyers that grind that kind of case down. I just pay :) When I pay, that is ;)

Sleeve wrench, here I come!

Pics: New 8 drawer tool chest I bought from Harbor Freight for under a hundred bucks. Thanks Dad (Santa)!!!

Best,

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Nice tool chest Tim, me likey mucho. Now that’s why I miss back home, you COULD NOT even remotely purchase, if you could find it, something like that in BFES without having 800 + euros in your wallet, seriously 😥

One word on tax returns…. H&R Block, because there is no honor in doing your own tax return, only a world of pain 😆

maitai11
                      Participant

Chris,

I sure do. There’s no way I’d be able to understand how to do my own taxes – I’ve tried it – and ended up losing hundreds due to the deductions I missed, etc. I’ve got a good guy who knows his stuff, and he does a good job.

Just getting the DATA together for him is stressful enough!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.