Home Forums General Discussion Forum steam cleaning parts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    jim1228
    Participant

Hello All, Steam cleaning could possibly distort small sensitive parts. I have never tried this so I don’t have a definitive answer, but you would basically be taking a chance. I would stick to old cleaning methods that we all know works. Ultrasonic cleaners, hand washing, and of course the proper cleaning and rinsing solutions. :)

Jim

kybill2011
      Participant

Hi guys, Bill here. OK, since I started this post so I figured I should be the test dummy. I had some spare watch parts form a watch that I will not repairing and used a steam cleaner to clean them. Some of the parts were, cock without hairspring, main plate w/ jewels removed, train wheels, watch case. Now realize I have been using a steam machine for over 25 years. The parts came out clean and unharmed and the moisture from the steam pretty much dries immediatley but I still put them in a dryer. It does not take long under the steam to clean them and should not warp or distort the metal. Now, I would not try to clean the escape wheel or any thing that delicate. This is my two cents worth, you will just have to try it yourself to see what you think. Just use commom sense.

Just a side note. I am a little dissapointed that I have not had any feedback from someone that would be interested in helping with a little OJT. Not even a ” If you were a little closer or if I had the time”. Maybe I have not given it enough time?

willofiam

Hi Bill and Jim, great insight on the steam cleaning, If you guys are like me I am always trying to think of better and more productive ways of accomplishing the task. 🙄 Bill, I am a newbie at the clock business myself and had tried to get someone from around here for the same reason, I did start some relationships but one guy wanted a arm and a leg to teach me, I can give a arm but I dont have a extra leg to give anymore. anyway if your ever coming to Minnesota make sure you give me a call and I will put the coffee on. (bring donuts). I was reading that section 13 of the charter granted to the worshipful company of clockmakers by Charles 1 on August 22, 1631, states that apprentices are to be bound to a free clockmaker for a period of seven years. Further ordinance XVII in the charter states that once the apprentice has duly served and been admitted as a freeman (or unbound) he shall serve 2 years as a journeyman and also produce his master-piece before he can be admitted as a work-master. sooooo I suggest we all travel to Bobs, stay for 7 years with free room and board, possibly access to his boat for thinking and brainstorming times and become master clock and watchmakers. ;) what do you think????? William

kybill2011
          Participant

Hey William, sounds great to me, I just don’t think Bob would have enough time or space for all of us who want to learn. :) Coffee sounds great!!! If I had 7 years to train then I would take one of the school courses but like I stated before, Just can’t get away for that long. I have learned a lot from watching Bob’s watch course (3 times) but there is nothing like hands on training under a watchful eye. If you are ever down Kentucky ways be sure to stop in, Would love to meet the great people I forum with.

Bob Tascione

Hey William and Bill that actually sounds like it would be a lot of fun…but 7 years, no way!!

I’ve stayed silent on the steam cleaning topic because I really don’t know much about it. At this point though I do agree with Jim when he mentions the danger of damaging parts. The only steam cleaners I’ve used in the past had quite a bit of pressure behind them and without that pressure it doesn’t seem like the steam would do too much. I guess you could clean each part one at a time …uuughh. Putting them together in baskets and blasting them with steam could be dangerous as the parts might damage each other. It doesn’t take much of a burr thrown up on a gear tooth to wreak havoc in a watch. Never really know ’till you try and looks like it worked for Bill so thanks for the info!

Enjoy all,
              Bob

THIS THREAD CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE

kybill2011
              Participant

Hey Bob, just to let you know I did clean those parts individually.

arutha
                Participant

This goes back to me asking a while back if there is any reason why this method would be any better compared to those already being used. If you are happy that you can clean a bunch of the bigger parts using that method and then clean the rest another way because you are happy with the results then I dont see a problem. If you are going to take up watch repair full time and need to get things done quick and to a good standard keep your eye on e-bay for one of the old watch cleaning machines. They were designed for that specific job and they do it very well.
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-R-Precision-watch-cleaning-machine-/230813679617?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item35bd914001
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-LEADER-WATCH-PART-CLEANING-MACHINE-JEWELRY-CLEANER-L-R-MASTERMATIC-/160826709674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257204d6aa
                  [urlhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/WATCH-CLEANING-MACHINE-TOOLS-/200769842574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebed0ad8e][/url]
                  There are 3 on e-bay at the moment, I think the last two are a little pricey but even so, the amount of time they will save you will far outweigh the cost in the end.
                  Dont take this post as a crtisism, there are better ways of doing things, some we are finding now and some through future technology will be available in the future. Its good to test new methods to see if it works any better but the 3 main criteria the new method has to fit are (and these are not in any order);
                  1 Does this method save any time (if not do better results make up for spending a little more time)
                  2 Am I getting better results with the new method (or at least as good if it is saving time).
                  3 Am I 100% sure this is not going to cause any damage at all.

Other considerations;
                  4 Is this financialy viable (will it save me or the customer money?)
                  5 Is this less harmful to the environment (this would relate to chemicals used in whatever process)
                  and there are other things I have probably missed but you get the idea.
                  Paul

digitaltripper
                  Participant

I’m new to this and I do not know about steam cleaning parts, but I can tell you that I oil the escape wheel with the balance out and it works great for me. I REALLY like the idea of oiling the escape wheel out of the watch and I do not see why it would not work. I am going to give that a go on my next watch. I am willing to bet that it works even better as there will be no chance if missing a tooth or getting to much in the wrong place etc.

Sure, the escape wheel could tip over during reassembly, or perhaps something else touches it before I get the bridge back on etc. etc. BUT I believe it is worth trying.

Jim

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.