Home Forums General Discussion Forum spring winder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mahlon
    Participant

I think for all of the hardest part about clock repair is being able to purchase tools. I friend of mine had altered a hand held winder like the one Bob uses in his videos. He had fastened a spare great wheel to the winder with rivets in order to keep it from slipping. I know that was the most frustrating part of trying to wind a spring for the first time. I would just about get it wound enough to replace the spring retainer, and it would come lose, spin, and tare my hand up( before I got smart enough to ware a glove), and would have to start over. Then you have the problem of holding the spring up against the great wheel, while winding. I ended up making this simple winder, that works very well for me. I used a great wheel from a cheap Korean movement that I had gotten in a box of clock parts. Once the hole is cut in the plywood, the wheel is centered and a post added for the loop end of the spring. I added a brace to the back side to support the arbor. By clamping the winder to the bench it allows me use my free hand to control the spring. This gig also allows me to wind and let the springs down several times for oiling the springs. Also you are able to wipe the excess oil of the back side of the spring before installing on the great wheel that you just spent time cleaning and polishing. I hope this idea will help some who are starting out on a limited budget. :D Mahlon

bernie weishapl
      Participant

That looks pretty good Mahlon and would be a good alternative for those just starting. I think using that I would use a let down tool to let the spring down and wind it up. I always use leather gloves when working with springs. I have the Olie Baker mainspring winder which IMHO is the best but springs can still break no matter what you use. I also wear a face shield. I had on explode on me many years back. I was using a webster winder at the time and it let go. When it did it shattered the spring sliced my hand which required 9 stitches and I had a cut up by my check bone. Since then I wear leather gloves and a face shield.

Mahlon I can see one thing I might do with yours that might help. What would happen if you took another piece of wood like on the back side holding the arbor in place and bring two bolts thru to hold it in position to hold the mainspring in place. You would drill a hole for the arbor so you could wind it. On those bolts coming thru you could put a nut on them (would be adjustable) to hold the wood away from the spring enough it would wind but yet hold the spring in position which would free up a hand. Just a thought.

Bob Tascione

Thanks for posting those pics Mehlon.
          Cleaver yet very simple setup and seems Much safer than those hand held winders. Good alternative to those hand held winders!
          Bernies idea seems like it might be helpful. Or maybe something that can swing in and over the spring and then just flip back out of the way when ready to remove?

Bob

mahlon
          Participant

Thanks Bob and Bernie, This is what makes this forum so important to all of us. :) :) :) Mahlon

arutha
            Participant

Hey Bernie,
              I have just got a Webster winder, what exactly let go? You have got me worried now :?
              Paul.

bernie weishapl
              Participant

It was the arm that held the loop end. Now mind you it was a early one which I should have said. I bought one of the first ones when they came out and they weren’t to hefty IMHO. I think these newer ones from what I have seen have had a few mod’s done to them and look to be a little more hefty than the one I had. I would probably buy one today if I needed one. I wouldn’t worry about it to much.

Bob Tascione

Looks good Mehlon!

Bob

arutha
                  Participant

Thanks Bernie,
                    I do have the later model and it does seem quite sturdy.
                    Paul.

daryn
                    Participant

I like the English type, I’ve scars to prove it :-S

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.