Home Forums General Discussion Forum South Bend Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

Chris:

That’s a very nice restoration my friend! I do wish you would photo the rubbed in jewel replacement next time – I would love to see that completed as I have several that need that.

Thanks!
      Tom

arutha
      Participant

Nothing wrong with your British accent Chris, probably better than mine! Nothing wrong with your watchmaking skills either! If you do get stuck for replacement wheels with teeth missing etc, my friend Daryn can cut new ones if William is too busy polishing his dividing head ;), if you send me a pic (if you ever need one doing) I can get a price for you. Just an option if you do get stuck on something :)

chris mabbott
        Participant

Cheers Paul ;) I’ll definitely keep that sticky note planted on my forehead for future use, an option which is a lot cheaper and easier than me setting up and trying to learn it on me tod 😆

ewinrow
          Participant

Very nice job Chris. Looks great.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Wonderful looking watch. Really nicely done with all that was wrong.

chris mabbott
              Participant

Thanks gents.

Just a quick update… It was running perfectly, maybe loosing 15-30 seconds in 24 hrs, I was surprised. I let it wind down, still ok.
                On the second full wind, same thing, good… Third full wind it started to act funny, lost about 30 mins all of a sudden?

I figured cannon pinion, so I tightened it, seemed to work fine for 12 hours, now it runs good, as in keeps perfect time, for a few hours, then suddenly it loses 15 mins?

I also noticed in the positional test that it changed noise, this can be normal, but when I checked, it seemed that the HS was just touching the HS pin in the face down pos.. adjusted, noise gone, but still loosing time, suddenly.

I have a feeling that it’s the worn, raised plate bushing on the lower MS barrel pinion, maybe that is sticking causing a loss/delay of power when it reaches a certain point? It is also a little tight to wind, so maybe it is in this area… Stay tuned..

chris mabbott
                Participant

Suggestions please.

Ok, I’ve had another look and a ponder, the only place I can see where there may be a problem is the part under mainspring barrel, shown in photo #7 with the red arrow.
                  Usually this normally raised step provides clearance between the winding gear and the plate base.
                  Part io this has worn away, and although I smoothed it, I think this is where the intermittent problem lays?

I’m not sure how to approach this? My options are

1. Remove the remain material and make it flush with the plate.

2. Perform #1 and try to make a small washer/bushing out of brass or nylon?

I would like to avoid putting in a bushing that would entail reaming out the original hole.
                  If anyone has any other suggestions though, I’m all ears :-)

willofiam

Hey Chris, how is the mainspring? could it be slipping? How is the fit of the barrel arbor pivot to the plate? William

arutha
                    Participant

If you have already removed some of that material has it not increased the end-shake on the barrel arbor? Did you check the barrel to make sure the arbor holes were not worn? If you do have a worn arbor hole on the barrel it will allow the barrel to lean over slightly which could have caused that wear in the first place.
                      If I am teaching you to suck eggs then please tell me to keep quiet :)
                      Paul.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.