Home Forums General Discussion Forum solid gold Bulova Accutron 218 with Date

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lancederderian22
    Participant

Hi everyone.

I’m just starting out on learning how to take care and repair watches. I’m 46 years old.
      I have a Bulova Accutron 218 with date, 1966 or M6, and just replaced the battery in it and it doesn’t seem to work. It was working 7 years ago, but since
      then it has just been sitting. It was my dad’s watch and he passed away when I was 6 years old and so it means a lot to me.
      How can I go about troubleshooting to figure out where the problem may be and get this watch working again? :(

Thank you for any help with this.

Bob Tascione

Hi Lance and welcome to the forum!
        I’ll touch on a couple of simple things you can try right away. If this doesn’t do the trick then there’s a link below to a helpful PDF file for the Accutron 218 Service Manual that I highly recommend reading (and it’s FREE at archive.org).
        First thing is to make sure the battery is inserted with the negative side facing up. Then try tapping the side of the case with your finger. This will often get a stubborn tuning fork etc. started. If it keeps going you’re in business. If not then there could be a number of reasons for stopping, either electrical or mechanical. You can test the cell coil with an Ohm meter. The cell coil is the one nearest the battery. If you get a reading when set to measure resistance then the coil is ok, if not then it’s bad.
        Hopefully this helps out but if not then I suggest reading that pdf as it will help explain things much better than I can do up here on the forum.
        Here’s the link:
        http://www.archive.org/details/Accutron218ServiceManual

Please let us know how things work out Lance,
        Enjoy!
        Bob

lancederderian22
        Participant

Thanks for getting back to me so soon Bob.

The manual looks like it will be helpful. I hear the watch “Humming”, however the hands aren’t moving. Even the second hand is still.

I’ll explore the manual and go through the steps it recommends.

Thank you.

Bob Tascione

Hi Lance,
            Sorry, I should have asked if you heard humming.
            There are a lot of things that can cause the hands not to move. The trouble shooting list in the pdf covers some things you can try without dis-assembling the movement. As you know accutrons are much different than the average mechanical watch and require unique repair techniques and tools. If after trying the steps listed in the manual you find that dis-assembly is necessary and because your watch has much sentimental value I would suggest sending it to a qualified accutron repair person or practicing first with some spare movements until you feel comfortable and confident enough to tackle your watch.
            This may have already been your plan but I thought I would mention it just in case.
            Hope it turns out to be something simple. Please let us know Lance.
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.