Home Forums General Discussion Forum Smallest bushing ever?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

While taking down a Hamilton 10s for servicing, I had a little difficulty removing the fourth wheel – to the point that I had to use a wheel puller to remove the pinion from the jewel hole. After I removed it, I saw what looked like a peice of a gear tooth on my work surface. When I looked at it under magnification I saw that it was actually a tiny brass bushing that fits over the part of the pinion upon which the second hand is pressed. I can’t understand why someone (or the factory) would go to the trouble to fabricate something like that. If the second hand pipe was too large, then it could certainly be reduce with a staking set. Anyway… this thing is SOOOO tiny, I don’t think I’ll ever get it back on – even under the microscope.

Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Cornfused… :?
      Tom

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        The ID has to be the diameter of the shaft that fit into the hole. You can measure the OD with standard tools. Draw a sketch of the part and make one on your Levin.
        david

tmac1956
        Participant

david:

I can’t believe that I just now got the bushing back on the shaft. It only took me about ten tries. Considering how may times it shot out of my tweezer, it’s a wonder that I didn’t lose it. That’s a testament to that drafting board mat.

Later
          Tom

mahlon
          Participant

And that’s why I don’t want to pocket watches . :D Mahlon

tmac1956
            Participant

@mahlon wrote:

And that’s why I don’t want to pocket watches . :D Mahlon

mahlon:

This is my purgatory!

Tom

chris mabbott
              Participant

It’s all a matter of perspective gentlemen, just ask a woman about size and they will happily give you the low down 😆 I’m talking about time pieces by the way so please remove your minds from the gutter and rinse with naptha ;)

I suppose clock guys shudder at the thought of tiny parts, I consider myself an 18-16s kinda guy, but I also shudder at the thought of wrist watches. On the opposite scale, when I think about working on a clock, it seems clumsy and too big, almost unnatural. Then again, wrist watch collectors think that anything larger than a size 12 is a gimmick, for learners to eventually achieve wrist watch repairers status :geek: Funny how we become accustomed to size or lack of..

arutha
                Participant

I have done a couple of tiny bushings on lever platforms and pocket watches. it is not easy and takes a delicate touch but with good magnification and a steady hand it can be done. If you do this sort of work on a regular basis it becomes easier but I remember when doing my first one it was intimidating. I used a french bouchon as it gives you more to work with and once in place and broached to size can then be filed down level with the plate.
                  Paul.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.