Home Forums General Discussion Forum Single roller question…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I am working on a balance (yep – another 18s) where the last person to work on the watch staked the single roller table onto the staff with the jewel parallel to the balance wheel arm. If I’m not mistaken, the jewel is supposed to be perpendicular to the arm. Additionally, the hairspring needs to be replaced as well. My questions… does it make any sense to:

a) attempt to rotate the single roller on the balance staff
      b) remove the roller and restake it back onto the staff in the proper orientation?

The single roller is in fine shape.

Thanks!
      Tom

willofiam

Hey Tom, you are correct in that it is standard for the roller jewel to be perpendicular to the balance arms, In my limited knowledge I can only guess that it should not make any difference as the balance should be balanced, I would think the main reason would be for ease of putting into beat or at least being able to eyeball it close before assembly, but I am not sure…. I do not think I would just try to rotate it on the staff as you may end up with it loose, I would pull it off, realign and stake it back into place, Just my opinion, hope all is well, William

tmac1956
        Participant

Willaim:

Yep – my thoughts as well, but I wasn’t sure. I would like to reuse it if possible.

Thanks!
          Tom

randy
          Participant

Tom,
            Check the balance rim for a small dot or line, on both sides.
            Many times there will be these marks where the factory assemblers marked the alignment to both the hairspring stud on the one side, and the Roller jewel on the other.
            Your roller may just have come loose enough to move on it’s own, as it should not be in line with the arms.

Best,

Randy

arutha
            Participant

In Frieds book he suggests holding the roller in a lathe collet and then twisting to get it off, is there any reason why this method should not be used to move its position?
              Paul.

tmac1956
              Participant

Authrua.

Hmmm… Unless the author was assuming that the staff was going to be replaced, then I can’t think of any reason. I’ll try that first.

Thanks!
                Tom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.