Home Forums General Discussion Forum should I replace the main spring barrel and cap?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dave@caffray
    Participant

I overhauled a Seth Thomas clock A400-000, 5610. the clock is running and keeping good time, but it just stops after 4-5-6 days. If I start it 2 or 3 times it runs again. after further inspection, I think there is too much play between the arbor and the main spring barrel, mostly on the cap. how much is allowable and where can I get a replacement. I think Hermle makes some for Seth Thomas but I can’t find a cross reference to determine what I can use for a replacement. 8E is marked on the cap, specks are 8.44mm shaft, 66 teeth, 40.54mm barrel diameter, 44.57mm barrel teeth diameter, 22.87mm deep, 39.15mm cap diameter.

Thanks for any guidance,

Dave

Dell
      Participant

Hi Dave

I would the best bet would be to bush the barrel if it’s a normal barrel, not knowing the clock I don’t know what it looks like , I have bushed barrels before by hand.

you need a bit of play barrel to arbor and you also need end shake.

dave@caffray
        Participant

Thanks Dell, I checked Time Savers and they don’t have bushings large enough to do that, the sleeve is 8.5mm OD. And the sleeve has a grove in it from the cap .5mm deep and they don’t have a sleeve replacement. where do I look for parts to fix this?

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.