Home Forums General Discussion Forum Should Center wheel fit tightly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mreynol5
    Participant

Hermle 451-030 I have disassembled my practice works, sonic cleaned the components and am now reassembling. I reattached the center wheel to its arbor with the “e” clip but noticed that the center wheel turns about its arbor. Should this be so and if so, how do the hands turn?

bernie weishapl
      Participant

When you assemble the center wheel there should be a washer that goes on first, then a small drop of oil on the shaft where the gear goes on, put on the gear and then there should be a spring assembly with what I call fingers. This spring assembly with fingers will have to be pressed/pinched down to get the e-clip on. If you didn’t have to press the spring assembly to get the e-clip on then it is to loose and the fingers will have to be bent slightly so that it will put tension on the wheel after installing the e-clip. When turning this wheel it should turn but with resistance. It needs this resistance so that when the clock is running the minute hand will move but it also must let the hands move when turning the minute hand by hand to set the time. I hope this makes sense.

mreynol5
        Participant

It Sure does and thanks. I am a hobbies t wood worker. I have just completed a grandfather clock and became interested in the movements of the clock. I really appreciate all of the tips in this forum and all of the help so freely given. I have also taken (several times) Bob and William’s Hermle course and it is very helpful.

disciple_dan
          Participant

Hello, Bernie. Hope you are well.
            disciple_dan here. I was looking for info on the center shaft on this 451_033 when I ran across this post and it looks like what I need to do. I have the clock on my stand and it ran all night but the hands didn’t move.
            I’m going to try your suggestion and see if it does the trick.
            I’ll let you know.
            God bless, Danny

disciple_dan
            Participant

Hello, I just wanted to update on this 451-033 that was running but the hands were not moving. I did take the back off and tightened the spring tension washer. It worked and the clock is back in working order.
              I also noticed that the hour cannon was a little close to the hand shaft shoulder and I needed to tap the lifting cam onto the center shaft a bit more. All is well.
              Thanks so much for posting these helpful comments.
              Danny

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.