Home Forums General Discussion Forum Setting Spring Maddness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

“Talk about pulling your hair out. Which is not good for me since I don’t have a lot left.” As I was reinstalling some parts of my Waltham 16s while I wait for the mainspring I ordered, I attemped to put together the set spring mechanism for the winding gear. Two little arms that sit on a washer and straddle a tiny screw that comes up from the underside all held toether with a U shaped spring that clamps them together from the edges. Are you kidding me? What were they thinking? I tried several different techniques to put everything back together to no avail. Then on my last try the spring flipped out of my tweezers never to be seen again. Fortunately, I found a package of set springs for my Wal. 16s from Watches by Hour Min. Sec. So I will be able to order it. My problem is I still don’t know how to perform this difficult task of putting this insane mechanism back together. I’m hoping that some of you more experienced guys can tell me how you do it. Hopefully before I’m bald….Hank

randy
      Participant

Hank,
        Just to clarify further, are you talking about the Click spring and Click, that stop the ratchet wheel from “unwinding” as you wind the watch ?

These can be tricky..and there were more than a few versions of them.
        It’s a trial – error fix for the most part.

I am not aware of a specific method..but one I use when I’m working with small parts is to hold one edge of the part down with either a small plastic rod or brass tweezers so I won’t mar the surface, while using another set of tweezers to move the rest of it into place.
        Having a really solid movement holder helps a lot, as you want nothing to be moving other than the parts you are manipulating.

I good shot of whiskey never hurts either…and remember,.you CAN walk away from the bench to rethink it …as the man said “Rome wasn’t built in a day”.

Let me know if I can give you more poor advice ! 😆

hank7421
        Participant

Hi Randy,
          I am going to try to post a picture of the spring mechanism without the spring. I apologize for the blurry picture.

stevefitzwater
          Participant

ok, this is in the keyless works, yes they can be a pain in the rear to get set.

I have found that when I use two tweezers, one on the pivot screw the lower cam pivots on (to capture that if it pings off, and then using the second to drag (NOT PICK) the spring down and around to hook it, also get a large ziplock bag, then cut an opening in one of the bottom corners just big enough to get your hand in, place the movement and tools inside the bag and then assemble it inside the bag so if it pings off in a attempt to reach great Horological Parts bin in the twilight zone, it will be trapped inside the bag.

until I got comfortable doing this, I would always do it inside the bag, it saves hours of search for those little springs

hank7421
            Participant

Thanks Steve, That’s a great idea and a necessary one because it will fly. Here is a better picture. It turned out that the spring I was looking at was the wrong size. I now do not know where I can get the spring clip to attach to this little mechanism. Any suggestions?
              Hank

stevefitzwater
              Participant

which model is this watch? I can check in my parts movements to see if I have one.

My wife picked me up a Red Devil Dust Mop, it has a cup that catches the debris and I have developed a habit of thoroughly sweeping the floor prior to starting any work on a watch, then when something tries to escape, I simply re-sweep the floor and then run a magnet through the debris cup.

hank7421
                Participant

Thanks Steve, I was able to find one on the NAWCC Forum. Since then I took the advise to put together these type of things in a plastic bag. I then enlarged on that idea and found a zippered clear plastic bag that sheets came in that my wife bought. I cut and taped a cardboard box to fit inside it without a top an one end open so that I could insert my hands inside. See picture. When I get my spring, this is where I am going to put it together….Hank

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.