Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas Westminster Chime mantel clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ewinrow
    Participant

Hello to all, I have a Seth Thomas clock that I just put a new motor in and motor runs but nothing else. When I turn the adjustment hands in the back, gears mesh and turn until it comes time to chime. It’s a Medbury 6E, model: E720-001,AC110, self starting electric clock with self correcting device. I have never tried to work one of these and I’m like Stevie Wonder in the subway. (completely lost.) Before I tear into it and possibly end-up with another pile of parts I’d figure I’d ask the folks on the form 1st.

When I turn either of the setting knobs gears turn and stop, then reverse, hands will not set with setting knobs, when plugged in hands do not move. I want to tear it down for cleaning inspection and repair. I’m wondering could it be a broken gear? A broken catch somewhere or something within the shaft assy. I have some things in mind, but when in doubt…..(“ASK”.)

So what say you all?

bernie weishapl
      Participant

ewinrow those are not clock set knobs. Those knobs wind a mainspring inside of those barrels. Those need to be wound up about 15 to 18 turns I find and then the motor will take care of keeping them wound up. If you wind those up and it doesn’t chime or keep time it may be the mainsprings are broke. If not you will have to let them down and then take the clock apart. I have worked on one or two of these but it has been a while. Maybe someone will jump in and has did one recently or enough of them to give you more info.

ewinrow
        Participant

Thanks Bernie, will look into.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.