Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas Thomaston Clock.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jlewis9450
    Participant

Good Evening folks

I’m a new student still trying to find my way. I getting to the point of being really stuck. Found a Seth Thomas mantle clock thomaston. Cleaned up the movement everything present but the suspension rod. Was able to get old style rods. Without the original to go by trying to figure out the length is very vexing. I have the bob. There must be some reference guidelins as to how long??

Anyone have a similar clock would be extremely grateful. I have two Gustav Becker wall clocks I have successfully saved and put into beat. I did ruin one suspension rod but it did show me that the clock does work. After this step will be looking for replacement hands and I can put the face back on..

Thanks

Jack Lewis
      Philadelphia,pa

[email protected]

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Not vexing at all. The most common method to finding/adjust the correct pendulum length found in clock literature involves counting teeth and pinions to calculate how many revolutions per hour the escape wheel must make, followed by determining how many beats per hour the clock was designed to make and therefore how long the pendulum should be. A table showing numerous gear combinations is on page 59 of Practical Clock Repairing (De Carle); it shows the correct pendulum lengths for those gear combinations.

Here is a handy dandy little calculator for pendulum length after counting the teeth of the wheels and pinions. http://www.nawcc-index.net/CalcPendulumLength.php

Unless you have a microset which can tell you the beats per hour in one hour the only other method I know is to count the wheels which mean disassembling the clock. De Carle’s book covers this pretty well. I am assuming that you have dismantled the clock once to clean and if so you can take it down again for counting.

Is this a mantle clock, Kitchen clock, wall clock, or what? A picture would be helpful.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.