Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas Store Regulator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mahlon
    Participant

I need a little help. When I removed this movement the first thing I noticed was the pile of solder holding the bushing for the rear pivot for the escape wheel. Who ever put the bushing in apparently had a wondering drill bit. Also the escape wheel was set in at about a 2 or3 degree angle. needless to say the teeth were bent and in really bad shape. So I purchased what was supposed to be an identical movement to rob the back plate and escape wheel with verge. Turns out the replacement movement is for a short drop pendulum The lantern pinion is a 7 pin, instead of an 8. I need to remove the wheel on the old movement and replace it with the new wheel. I also need to put a longer crutch on the verge. Can some one explain how to remove the wheels and put them back on? I also need to know the best way to address to crutch. Mahlon

arutha
      Participant

Mahlon,
        before you go swapping the wheels you need to check the diameter of the wheel and tooth form is identical. I am not sure without seeing pictures of the parts but sometimes you can just drive the arbor though the wheel using a split stake and a punch resting on the shoulder of the arbor, make sure the hole in the punch is deep enough to clear the pivot. The only issue with is is when you come to fit it on the arbor you will be using the fit of the wheel may not be tight enough. Hopefully someone with a bit of experience here might help?
        Paul.

mahlon
        Participant

Thanks Paul, I finished the clock last week, and it is keeping good time. I checked out the diameter of the wheels before I went to the trouble of removing the wheels from their arbors. Both movements were identical except for the 3rd and 4th wheels. The one that I purchased had 2 more teeth on the 3rd wheel, and 1 more on the 4th wheel. Every thing else was the same. The only other thing I had to do was lengthen the crutch wire for the long drop. I found a post some where on here that descried splicing the two pieces by soldering a tube over the splice. It looks good and works great. 😮 Mahlon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.