Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas Ogee clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mahlon
    Participant

Can someone advise me on the propper size and material for the winding cables. This clock has two pieces of braided fishing line

Bob Tascione

Hi Mahlon,
        Might try some braided nylon cord. You can get it at any sport or fishing shop. This is what I use rather than the stiff cable.

Hope this helps,
        Bob

arutha
        Participant

I dont know if you have found any problems where people have used the wrong type of fishing braid, combined with the heavy weights for this type of clock if the wooden pulley wheels dont spin nicely it wouldnt take much for some of the fishing braids to wear grooves in them. Some of these fishing braids have very fine diameters but great strength, these are the ones I would avoid, as long as it has a reasonable diameter you should be ok. I have just bought a couple of packs of “American Clock Chord” From Cousins in the UK. It is quite inexpensive so might be worth checking out if you cant find a suitable braid.
          Paul.

mahlon
          Participant

Thanks Guys. I decided to use this clock as my first restore.It seams to be an easy one to start, besides I bought the exact movement off e-bay. In playing with it (before doing alot of reading), I have discovered that a piar of pliars is not the way to adjust the verge, thus the movement from e-bay.

Bob Tascione

That’s a very good point Paul.
              Yes the braided line should be the highest test that can still fit the spool. I have here with me spools from 80 – 150 lb. test. Thicker the better to avoid grooving. Also it does tend to stretch a little. Also Paul is absolutely correct about those stronger lines. Some are half the dia. at the same test strength as the normal braided lines and should either be avoided or maybe doubled in test strength if used.
              I raced through the posts last night when I got back home (have been away for about 10 days) and thought Mahlon was asking about an alternative to brass cable but see that the clock already had fishing line on it.
              Good catch Paul..thanks!
              Bob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.