Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas movement plate removal with speed adjustment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnclu
    Participant

I have a Seth Thomas movement from a mantle clock I a overhauling and have run into a problem. I am trying to separate the plates but am stuck. I cant separate the plates because I believe that the speed adjustment with the worm gear is holding them together as there is a worm gear on the outside of one plate and a spring attached to the to the worm gear shaft on the outside of the other plate. I have done some searching but so far have not found any explanation of how to unattach the speed adjustment so I can separate the plates. I am not even sure what that adjustment is actually called. New guy. Can someone tell me how to do this please? Thank you, John

disciple_dan
      Participant

Hello, JohnClu.
        Can you send a couple pics of the clock? Maybe I can help if I can see the problem. Thanks, Danny

johnclu
        Participant

Thanks Danny for offering to help. I was able to talk to an old clock guy and he suggested that the spring on the end of the arbor was held in place by setting in a hole in the arbor and he was correct however I think my spring was actually broken but it still operated correctly as I removed the broken piece from the hole and the spring was able to come off. Do you know anything about Bergeon bushings? I am ordering bushings for this movement but am not finding exact fits according to the pivot sizes I am measuring. Do you broach out the inside of pivots for the final fit. Maybe that is not the correct term. Thanks Danny. John

disciple_dan
          Participant

Hey< John.
            Glad you got apart. We would still like to see pictures and it may help someone else later on.
            Yes, you need a good set of reamers and broaches.
            Bergeon cost is pretty high so I use the KWM system. It’s American made and much less expensive. I’m not sure if there is a huge quality difference as I have never used Bergeon.
            If you have access to the teaching videos on Bob’s website you should study them. He explains step by step how to repair a movement. It’s a must for beginners. If you don’t have access I think you should. It’s very inexpensive and worth more than words can convey.
            Best wishes to you, Danny

johnclu
            Participant

I finaly have everything apart that needs to be so maybe when everything is clean, re bushed and ready to assemble I’ll take some pictures if I can figure out how to put them on. I am in the ultra Horology course and will be going back over Bob’s work on bushing. Thanks, John

disciple_dan
              Participant

Sounds great John, Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.