Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas Chime Block/Rods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tenntod
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I’m new here. I have a Seth Thomas Mantle Clock that the chime block has one rod broken off. I want to replace the entire block and all rods but I’m confused on the size. Inside the clock case I see a T50 and I’m assuming that is the movement. I cannot figure out what chime block and rods to replace this old one with. There are two longest rods and they measure from the back of the block 10 11/16, the third rod measures 9 1/4 from the back of the block measures 9 1/4. The 4th rod is broken but when pieced together it measures 8 11/16. The 5th and shortest rod measures 8 1/4. The only chime block and rods I’ve been able to find online measures 11 5/16 for the longest. Does anyone have any thoughts they’d like to share.

Kind Regards,
      Ted

Anonymous

Hello Ted,
        I haven’t replace too many myself but I have replaced several rods and had the same problem. I finally realized that as long as I ordered the rods with the correct thread they could be longer and then cut down to the correct length. I also discovered that to get the correct tone the length might differ a little from the original. Maybe the material or diameter was a little different so when getting close to the original length I would insert the rod into the block and check the pitch and adjust the rest of the length by tone rather than trying to bring it to the exact length.
        I don’t know if this help too much but it did work for me.

Best,
        Phil

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.