Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas A401-003 runs irregular.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    calhouns
    Participant

I have a Seth Thomas A401-003 clock movement with time, strike, and chime trains that has a balance escapement instead of a pendulem. I have cleaned the movement and checked all pivots and none are in need of bushings. I oiled the pivots and greased the mainsprings. I have the movement in a clock stand and when I wound it, it started to run all by itself. But it only ran for about 18 hours and stopped. When I examined it, I moved the balance wheel manually and it started running again. This time it only ran for about 2 hours and in that time it ran about 10 minutes fast. I have continued to work with it and it runs for different intervals everytime it stops. I am a rookie at clock repair, and not familiar with this type of escapement. Any Suggestions on how to trouble shoot the exact problem?

willofiam

Hey Calhouns, first try a search on this forum for “balance escapement” there should be a PDF link on there that has alot of good info. See if that helps solve your issue. If not then let us know. William

calhouns
        Participant

Thanks for the info. Found the post and will let you know what I find.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.