Home Forums General Discussion Forum Set Lever Hold Down Screw Turns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wingman
    Participant

I have been re-assembling an Elgin 18 and when I pulled out the set lever I noticed that the screw attaching the lever turns slightly each time the lever is pulled out. I’ve tighened the screw but now the lever is starting to bind. As far as I can tell I have the right screw holding it down. I could use loctite but I really hate to use it on the watch. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

The photo was taken before cleaning and corrosion removal. It looked pretty nasty.

Bob Tascione

Hi Steve,
        I’ve run into that problem myself. These screws are usually either straight shoulder screws or tapered under the head which fits into a matching tapered hole in the lever. Also some levers fit over a raised shoulder or post on the plate. In any case the shoulder should be longer than the thickness of the lever or the lever will loosen the screw. Also could be a burr on the plate, underside of the lever or nicked screw head or bent lever… anything that might take up the small space intended to keep the lever free.
        Hope this helps Steve,
        Bob

wingman
        Participant

Thanks Bob

Yes I think this is the case. There are burrs on the lever and they can be seen in the countersunk hole as well. I tried polishing them with a fine grit polishing compound and it was slightly better. I may need to polish it again. I also tried looking for a new longer screw. However the original screw is quite unique. It has a countersunk head with square shoulders.

Bob Tascione

You’re welcome Steve,
            I hope that took care of the problem. If it turned out to be something different please let us know.
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.