Home Forums General Discussion Forum Sessions escapements

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    steve60
    Participant

Hello everyone, Steve here, new to the Forum and online repair classes. The videos are excellent and I fell like I’ve learned quite a bit already. Well at least enough to be dangerous :) . I’ve already taken apart a Sessions Mantle clock, cleaned it all up and noticed that this clock has, what I am assuming, is a floating escapement. There is no pendulum, only a little gear with a hair spring and a fork that fits into the gear somehow. It was falling out when I opened the clock up. So I have no idea how it goes together. There is a adjustment screw on the plate looks like that is how it gets held in place. But the spring doesn’t look to good. Any ideas on what to do or where to look for some help. Thanks

arutha
      Participant

Hi Steve,
        welcome to the forum :)
        If you could post a picture it would help very much. If there is a screw on the outside of the plates then the balance wheel should go in between the plates but before it goes back in we need to determine exactly how bad the hairspring is. A picture will help here.
        Paul.

steve60
        Participant

Hi Paul,
          Thanks so much for the quick response. I’ve attached 2 pictures. I started putting it back together, but it just does not feel right, should the fork be below or above the wheel see the little peg on the wheel, should it be fitted in there. Thanks again!!
          Steve

willofiam

Hey steve60, were you able to get the hairspring untangled??? be very careful, there should only be one piece of the hairspring thru the slot then pinned to the small brass piece on the plate as your photos show , also look on u tube for pin pallet escapement, that may help, yes, I believe the “fork” should be on either side of that pin and I am guessing another guide pin from the fork will ride “along” the notched out brass piece, the 2 pallet pins will be next to the escape wheel, hope that all makes sense. William

steve60
            Participant

Hey William,
              Thanks for the advice, I did find a u-tube video on pin pallet escapement. Thanks a bunch, that will really help.
              Steve

arutha
              Participant

Hi Steve,
                yeah, William is correct, that is a pin pallet escapement. For it to get anywhere near working you are either going to have to try to get that hairspring dead flat or replace it. The easiest way is to take the balance back out from between the plates, (dont forget to un pin the end of the hairspring) and then remove the little brass collet that holds the hairspring inner end from the balance wheel shaft. You will see a cut in the little brass collet, put a small screwdriver into the slot and gently twist the screwdriver while pulling up, this will slowly turn the collet around the shaft and hopefully raise it up enough to become slack and then come off completely. You will then be left with the hairspring and the little brass collet. You then need two pairs of tweezers to gently bend the hairspring back into shape. This takes practice so, if you can, try and get some old hairsprings to practice on until you feel confident you can get it flat with nice even curves. You will need some form of magnification and a 3x or 5x loupe is ideal for this.
                Your only other option is to find a replacement which I can tell you know isnt always simple.
                Good luck and let us know how it goes.
                Paul.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.