• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    digitaltripper
    Participant

Gentlemen (and gentlewoman’s), I have a question regarding screw thread and the making thereof, specifically, how do I determine without trial and error, the size of the wire/material that can be used for a specific thread.

Lets say I have a die that is 80TPI ( 80 Threads Per Inch). What size wire would I use to add threads to?

Does that make sense?

Let us start with that, and we’ll get to tapping and drill sizes later.

Yes I have looked on Wikipedia and it did not ( or perhaps I lost interest in the LONGGGGG explanation…) say how to determine wire sizes for the die being used….

Thank you for your time!

Digitaltripper
      Jim :mrgreen:

willofiam

Hey Jim, I think you have to have another # included in your thread sizing. 80 threads per inch can be any size diameter. Now remember I am not very knowledgeable on thread sizes :D for instance a 1/4-20 thread would be 1/4″ major diameter and 20 threads per inch.

digitaltripper
        Participant

William, Thank you…Duh I should have thought of that. Would this be 0-80? Anyway I have attached some pics of the tap and die set in question.

My finger is near the 80 die, as well as a picture showing a US Dime for size comparison. For your information, I need to make a new threaded post for a minute arbor and the 80 tap fits the knurled nut for the minute post. Thank you all for your time.

Jim

willofiam

Jim, here is what I use to figure all that out, it is rather expensive. I use it all the time…There are several other pieces of info you get when using this, major diameter, minor diam. pitch, different drill sizes, ect…for threads…The last photo shows the size of the stock for the 0-80 die….You can also find charts that will give the information for drilling, tapping, thread sizes ect…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.