Home Forums General Discussion Forum Screw / Bolt Threads…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

Here’s a newbie question for you. How do you measure threads? I’ve seen the gauges, but I don’t know which one or how many to buy. Plus there is the English and metric issue. Am I on the right track? :?

Thanks!
      tmac

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        The easiest way to measure a thread pitch is with a thread pitch gauge. The gauges are sold in sets as leaf gauges and can be purchased from an industrial supply house such as ENCO. Pull up their web site and look at item numbers 327-3185, 327-2899 and 615-6324. You can also measure the thread pitch from peak to peak or valley to valley. The metric threads are the actual measurement and the inch threads are the number of threads in the distance of one inch. For example if a metric thread measures .4mm from peak to peak it is a .4 mm thread. The peak to peak measurment of a 4tpi thread is calculated by dividing 4 into 1 which will yield the peak to peak distance of .250 inches.
        david

tmac1956
        Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tom,
          The easiest way to measure a thread pitch is with a thread pitch gauge. The gauges are sold in sets as leaf gauges and can be purchased from an industrial supply house such as ENCO. Pull up their web site and look at item numbers 327-3185, 327-2899 and 615-6324. You can also measure the thread pitch from peak to peak or valley to valley. The metric threads are the actual measurement and the inch threads are the number of threads in the distance of one inch. For example if a metric thread measures .4mm from peak to peak it is a .4 mm thread. The peak to peak measurment of a 4tpi thread is calculated by dividing 4 into 1 which will yield the peak to peak distance of .250 inches.
          david

David:

I’ll put them on my wish-list.

Thanks!
          tmac

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.